The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 139 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 07-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #1381
jeepinjeepin

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Liked 1046 Times on 1025 Posts

That sucks. I thought that all additions down to 20 minutes added some bitterness though.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #1382
Reno_eNVy

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts

Meh, any amount of boiling will isomerize alpha acids. It's just that when you get down to less time less are isomerized and so you have less bitter and more flavor (i.e. since the flavor compounds haven't been chemically altered or boiled off.)

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #1383
MBasile
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
When I posted my IPA recipe on a certain Aussie site,& got flamed for wasting 6oz of hops.
The particular flamer also said 20-30 minute hop additions are bittering.
He got mad when I tried to tell him 30 minutes on down is for flavoring & aroma.
He then gets snotty I tries to claim this graph says that & this & those & them.
That if I wanted to waste good hops & money,go ahead.
And some other downright rude BS. Gotta love the smarta$$ of the world who don't know how to talk to people.
Just be happy he doesn't own a home brew store! There's a certain shop in San Francisco which the owner of has refused to sell a friend of mine the hops he wanted because it was "too many hops and the beer will taste bad. These over hopped IPAs are stupid." My buddy, who does like "punch you in the face" hopping, was actually buying hops for two batches.

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 07-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #1384
mcaple1
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Falcon, CO
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

you can still get bittering from your hops if you whirlpool. or if it takes a long time for you to get the temp of the wort down when you have flameout additions....Jamil noted the actual temp that isomerization stops, but its not boiling...it happens at lower temps as well..obviously not at fermentation temps though.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #1385
Reno_eNVy

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBasile View Post
Just be happy he doesn't own a home brew store! There's a certain shop in San Francisco which the owner of has refused to sell a friend of mine the hops he wanted because it was "too many hops and the beer will taste bad. These over hopped IPAs are stupid." My buddy, who does like "punch you in the face" hopping, was actually buying hops for two batches.
What a doucher! "No please, don't brew to your liking and buy a ton of ingredients so I can make money."

Also, thanks for the info mcaple1. I'll have to research that.

Also also, new stupid comment when explaining that I use juniper branches to make sahti: "Gross! Do you know how many bugs live in those trees?" .....uuuuum, about as many on barley/wheat/hops?

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #1386
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3706 Times on 3178 Posts

It just bugged me that they like to try cloning our APA's. But our IPA's,it seems they don't have a clue. Some of them think the cooper's IPA "is a bit strong for their liking". Are they kidding? I tried to explain the whole hop bittering/flavor/aroma thing. But he just insisted more that even 15-20 mins gave 50% utilization of the bittering ability of a given hop. I know from my previous efforts that it can't be that high.
Then I tried to explain that my 6oz's makes me a piker compared to some brewer's amounts. And I even mentioned how I only boiled 4.5oz of the 3 hops used. no good,I'm still a wasteful stupid yank. They either don't know what I'm talking about with concepts we think are simple. Or they say you can't do it that way.WELL,FU2! I DID IT!They can be really rude when you try to tell them they're wrong about something. I have to prove it all the time.
Just goes to show...you can't fix stupid. Damn,somebody gimme a beer!
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 07-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #1387
Reno_eNVy

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I tried to explain the whole hop bittering/flavor/aroma thing. But he just insisted more that even 15-20 mins gave 50% utilization of the bittering ability of a given hop.
LULZ, wut??!

You don't even get close to 50% from a 60 minute boil... not even 120 minute boil.

Show that assclown this graph from BYO vol. 17 (you may have to explain how to read graphs to him. He doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed.... or just a tool)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #1388
Clann
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Edmonton Ky
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

I had a lady ask where I got the beer that I was putting in my bottles when I was bottling a batch today

Old 07-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #1389
edb23
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Pittsburgh
Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

"What kind of beer is this?"
"It's a mild"
"Oh is that like an IPA"

My mild has one half ounce addition at sixty and one at 45.
but drink to think the better

Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #1390
Beezy
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Mild, that reminds me. The bartender at Pipers was telling me that they had a mild on cask and he said he didnt like milds they tasted like brown water and then he turned around and ordered a Belhaven (Scottish Mild).