The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 131 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #1301
JoeyChopps

Recipes 

Apr 2011
warner robins, ga
Liked 280 Times on 190 Posts

The salty taste thing drives me crazy my older brother has had probably 12 of my beers everything from a stout to a pale ale and he always says they are too salty but he is also a bmc only drinker

Old 06-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #1302
Clann
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Edmonton Ky
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

One guy that I just don't give beer to anymore says all my beer tastes like it has a licorice taste to it.
I think people taste with their sight before the glass even touches their lips witch is a shame because most of the time I hear,"this is going to be strong isn't it?"

Old 06-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #1303
RedGuitar
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Raleigh, NC
Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts

The soy sauce thing interests me. SWMBO was helping me bottle my hefty Scottish braggot this past weekend, and she said it smelled like soy sauce. I didn't smell or taste anything like soy sauce with it. She also said while cleaning the stove/oven yesterday that it smelled like soy sauce too. So, is there something wrong with my beer, my stove or my SWMBO?

"Good men drink good beer." -Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #1304
bsdx
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Perry, Michigan
Liked 19 Times on 8 Posts

Don't take offense when people say they sense a particular thing and it is not a desired perception of the beer, its just what they personally thought of when they sensed it. Sensory description can be really difficult for the untrained and part of it is simply having the right vocabulary to describe what they think they sense. Training level aside, it doesn't mean its necessarily the best descriptor but it doesn't mean they are wrong either. They are simply telling you what they think they sense. Additionally it is possible for beer/spirits at least to gain a soy sauce flavor if certain fungus has its way, such as what grows on/in some barrels. I can imagine some dark beers could conjure a soy sauce perception but is also possible to be sensed as part of a legitimate flaw.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #1305
Kokopuff829
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Elyria, Ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGuitar
The soy sauce thing interests me. SWMBO was helping me bottle my hefty Scottish braggot this past weekend, and she said it smelled like soy sauce. I didn't smell or taste anything like soy sauce with it. She also said while cleaning the stove/oven yesterday that it smelled like soy sauce too. So, is there something wrong with my beer, my stove or my SWMBO?
Maybe she really likes soy sauce and smells it every where she goes?

Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #1306
mwhc22

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Wisconsin/Utah

I'm still perplexed by the salt thing. After years in the restaurant industry I would like to think my pallet is trained well. Salt is just not something I can figure out when there is none. I tried my damnedest to quiz my friend to find out what he was really tasting so I knew what might have happened to the beer. best I could come up with was since he ate dinner before hand that his pallet was skewed from food or he was crazy. The other test subjects thought he was crazy. LoL.

Still though I would like to find out why some people taste salt when there is none. It's rare but as this thread can attest, it happens still.

“Here’s to a long life and a merry one,
a quick death and an easy one, a pretty girl and a true one,
a cold beer and another one." -Lewis Henry

"old schlitz...new schlitz... both getz you LITZ!"

Old 06-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #1307
LVBen

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhc22 View Post
Still though I would like to find out why some people taste salt when there is none. It's rare but as this thread can attest, it happens still.
Are you sure there is none? There was 0 salt in the water and 0 salt in the grains when the beer was made?

Old 06-24-2011, 01:37 AM   #1308
mwhc22

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Wisconsin/Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBen

Are you sure there is none? There was 0 salt in the water and 0 salt in the grains when the beer was made?
Yes. And to humor your extreme devils advocateness, I can also safely say that any microlevels of salt or salt derivatives would not be detectable over the level of hops in an imperial red... Nor the malt flavor. As I use distilled water the only way salt could enter anyway would be through if somehow my grains, hops, or yeast were salted by manual process.

But to further my previous post... It could be possible that the people that taste salt could very well have a sensitivity to esters or smells that relate to salt but can be present without any salt. Or maybe just crazy... But probably just untrained in describing what they taste as another person posted above.

“Here’s to a long life and a merry one,
a quick death and an easy one, a pretty girl and a true one,
a cold beer and another one." -Lewis Henry

"old schlitz...new schlitz... both getz you LITZ!"

Old 06-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #1309
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Thiensville, Wisconsin
Liked 489 Times on 378 Posts

some highly-hopped beers taste salty to me.

maharaja comes to mind
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 06-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #1310
bknifefight
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2009
PA
Liked 110 Times on 82 Posts

Salty marijuana? You need a new dealer, moto

jamiemc18 Likes This