The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 119 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #1181
snowveil

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Lebanon, PA
Liked 60 Times on 44 Posts

gotta love my mom....she came over to help me bottle an experimental 100% wheat porter because she thought it sounded fun.

Here mom, taste a sip of this smoked porter:

"Tastes like coffee!"

Try some of my New Zealand IPA:

"Smells like fruit!"

Pretty good I'd say!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #1182
GodsStepBrother

Recipes 

Apr 2009
, Texas
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

I hand a supposed beer snob one of my IPA’s, he drinks it then I give him a sample of a double IPA I had. He replies to me, “That second one was more stout that the first”

Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #1183
LVBen

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
Did they taste it? or were they content to just look
He said that he wanted to try a sip, but I think I may have been inside the house when he actually did sip a bit from his wife's glass. He never commented to me about it, and I didn't bother to ask how he liked it. Everyone sitting around him was saying "this is GOOD!" as they set aside their SNPAs and started drinking my PA.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #1184
LVBen

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowveil View Post
gotta love my mom....she came over to help me bottle an experimental 100% wheat porter because she thought it sounded fun.

Here mom, taste a sip of this smoked porter:

"Tastes like coffee!"

Try some of my New Zealand IPA:

"Smells like fruit!"

Pretty good I'd say!
My mom HATES all beer and she will not even try one sip of my homebrews.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #1185
Bubba

Recipes 

Oct 2009
S.I.N.Y
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

A friend of my wife tastes a 7.5% IPA and says it tastes too week while she sucking on a coors lite.

People Like This 
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #1186
JoeBronco

Recipes 

Jan 2011
East Bay, NoR-CaL
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

My best friend SERIOUSLY stated these words after trying one of my "Pliny The Mexicans"

"(serious face) Taste like...Beer. (concerned face) Its good"
Bottle Ageing __________ Giddy Gremlin, RyIIIPAWhiskey Vanilla Porter (Bottled 4-20)

SILVER - BABO - "Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter"
SILVER - Celebrewtion - "Bourbon Vanilla Porter"
GOLD - BABO - "Hoptop"
SILVER - BABO - "Screaming Cream"
Honorable Mention: (x2) Giddy Gremlin RyIIpa (x1) Pliny The Mexican

Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #1187
agenthucky
Recipes 

Jan 2010
CT
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsStepBrother
I hand a supposed beer snob one of my IPA’s, he drinks it then I give him a sample of a double IPA I had. He replies to me, “That second one was more stout that the first”
Perhaps that beer snob is using the correct definition of the word stout, which he is right in doing so.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #1188
agenthucky
Recipes 

Jan 2010
CT
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

From someone inter miller crowd:

Him: this is good
Me: thanks
Him: it has a funny aftertaste
Me: thats flavor
Him: mmmmm

Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #1189
GodsStepBrother

Recipes 

Apr 2009
, Texas
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agenthucky View Post
Perhaps that beer snob is using the correct definition of the word stout, which he is right in doing so.
I am sorry, I was under the impression that now a days; "Stout" denotes the actual style “Stout” (i.e. malty, dark, roast, etc…). The fact that at one point stouts where called stout for a reason doesn’t mean it is still used today, I’ve never heard of a judge describing a beer as stout for being stronger than another.

Anyways if the guy new that distinction then his statement would have been worthwhile I guess? Kind of showing off a bit of history he knew about beer. The guy clearly didn’t know that though.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #1190
agenthucky
Recipes 

Jan 2010
CT
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsStepBrother View Post
I am sorry, I was under the impression that now a days; "Stout" denotes the actual style “Stout” (i.e. malty, dark, roast, etc…). The fact that at one point stouts where called stout for a reason doesn’t mean it is still used today, I’ve never heard of a judge describing a beer as stout for being stronger than another.

Anyways if the guy new that distinction then his statement would have been worthwhile I guess? Kind of showing off a bit of history he knew about beer. The guy clearly didn’t know that though.

Well, it doesn't matter how you take it, he was using his english correctly. Perhaps one learns of the word before they learn of the beer style guideline (which isn't an original style of beer).

And it is used today, if this aforementioned beer nut were to let's say listen to the basic brewing podcast, he would have come across that term in a pet peeve episode they did where, in this exact scenario, was someone's pet peeve when another so called beer nut used the term to describe the difference between two beer like your friend did. This was at the latest a couple years old, sooooooo ease up, maybe relax and have a.....