The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 116 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 02-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #1151
Dahoov
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Centennial, Colorado
Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerPressure View Post
I stop the conversation when they ask me "do you make light or dark beer?"
I generally try to educate them a little. Frequently I get the deer in the headlight look, but occasionally I get some genuine interest. That usually keeps me trying.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:29 AM   #1152
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2009
staten island
Liked 546 Times on 415 Posts

I have yet to see genuine interest, which frustrates me a bit. I know so many people who drink beer, but not good beer. Actually a cousin of my wife drink good beer but thats about it. My boy likes some craft brews, but has no interest in hearing about styles. Theres just so much ignorance about beer. Im not knocking it, but i think most people see beer as a poor mans indulgence and thats sad.

I try to explain to people the complexity involved in making beer. Sure, anybody can make beer, but making great beer is a little more difficult. Much harder that making wine but yet theres more of a culture around wine. In part, i think we have bmc to thank for that.
Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #1153
MBasile
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Well, my neighbor batted 2 strikes and then hit a home run.

What are you cooking?

Beer. (short answer because I was looking up something on HBT.)

"Beer!" (she walks inside)

(she comes back out) "What kind of beer?"

A really big stout.

"Bleh!!" (strike 1) "Where do you buy the alcohol?" (strike 2!!)

Oh, the yeast make that!

"Hold on a minute! I have some empty grolsch bottles you can have if you want!" (HOME RUN!!!)

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 02-12-2011, 04:58 AM   #1154
bsdx
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Perry, Michigan
Liked 19 Times on 8 Posts

Well not necessarily a comment about my beer, but several times my dad has asked me if something was an Ale or a Beer... I used to explain it but now I know he just means lager not beer.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #1155
injun
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Las Vegas, NM

"This beer has too much flavor!"

Seriously.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #1156
AwesomeSquad
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Springfield Mo, Missouri
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

"Cool, so you brew your own beer?"
"Yeah"
"Does it have alcohol in it?"
"Yes...it's beer"
"Awesome"

I am gonna get so drunk that animals that live in the sewers will die from alcohol poisoning when I urinate.

I am gonna drink so much that brewers panic by the sudden loss of beer and they start pulling so much water out of the ocean to replenish their supply that the pull the moon has on the ocean is thrown off and the moon goes drifting off into space and the earth drifts into the sun.

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 02-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #1157
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2008
New Bern, NC
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdx View Post
Well not necessarily a comment about my beer, but several times my dad has asked me if something was an Ale or a Beer... I used to explain it but now I know he just means lager not beer.
A note on this, I'm pretty sure these words didn't always have such a concrete meaning the way we understand them to. I can remember seeing some kind of ad for a grocery store that appeared to be from the 50's and a woman had a shopping cart with some cans labeled "beer" and some labeled "ale".
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 02-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #1158
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

May 2010
San Luis Valley, CO
Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
A note on this, I'm pretty sure these words didn't always have such a concrete meaning the way we understand them to. I can remember seeing some kind of ad for a grocery store that appeared to be from the 50's and a woman had a shopping cart with some cans labeled "beer" and some labeled "ale".
Because of antiquated laws in Texas (not positive they have not changed recently as I see tons of craft beer and imports being sold that I am sure are not labeled exclusively for the Lonestar) brews were labeled based on alcohol content. Beer was 4% or lower, Ale was higher, and I think Malt liquor for high ABV stuff. I am remembering this from the Everything Homebrewing Book by Drew Beechum I was perusing yesterday.

The point is a lot of older folks know various styles based on where they lived in the post prohibition F'ed up beer laws era.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #1159
Kidchyron
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Middletown, NJ

My mother-in-law insisted on trying some of my English Brown Ale. Then upon tasting it: "You know what? Tastes just like Ballantine!"

And she meant it as a compliment.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #1160
uncommonsense
Recipes 

Jan 2011
lincoln, illinois
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Me: well guy I'm ganna brew some beer today. (Satuarday)
Co-worker: oh cool bring a few Monday.