The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 111 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 11-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #1101
brewthunda
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Portland, OR
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
from a co-worker today, "what type of CO2 do you use?"
That's not a stupid comment. Bottle carbonated or keg carbonated? If keg carbonated, where do you get your CO2? If keg carbonated, are you carbing with nitro?

I've carbed with CO2 from a seedy paintball supply shop and CO2 from a beer supply place. The paintball gas had a funny metallic/chemical smell to it - like if you huffed your half-empty glass, you'd get a nosefull and wonder what was up. It wasn't just green beer, either, the smell was really noticeable in soda water. So I think asking someone where they get their gas is a totally legit question.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #1102
Hegh

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Schenectady, NY
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewthunda View Post
That's not a stupid comment. Bottle carbonated or keg carbonated? If keg carbonated, where do you get your CO2? If keg carbonated, are you carbing with nitro?

I've carbed with CO2 from a seedy paintball supply shop and CO2 from a beer supply place. The paintball gas had a funny metallic/chemical smell to it - like if you huffed your half-empty glass, you'd get a nosefull and wonder what was up. It wasn't just green beer, either, the smell was really noticeable in soda water. So I think asking someone where they get their gas is a totally legit question.
There is a difference between food-grade and non-food-grade (industrial? I'm not sure what to call it) CO2. I asked last time I was getting a refill at the welding shop (they only offer food-grade because you can use it for anything).

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 11-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #1103
beninan
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Maine
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewthunda View Post

I should have clarified. We were talking about my kegerator and how I got a good deal on my CO2 tank, and that's when the question arouse.

CO2 is CO2 is CO2, no matter where it comes from. If I had a nitro setup then it would be N2. He also wasn't asking where I got the gas, rather what type of CO2 gas it was. I wonder if maybe the CO2 that you are getting from the paintball shop isn't pure CO2, and maybe that's where the off flavors are comming from. I know when I went to get my tank, they asked me if it was for a beverage use, so maybe there's some purity differences in some filling stations.

EDIT: I didn't see Hegh's post directly above me

Reason: too drunk to read post above me

Old 11-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #1104
Cdreid
Recipes 

Nov 2010
asheville, nc

You all need to read this
http://www.drunkard.com/issues/01-05...r-snobbery.htm

If you dont laugh.. welll...

Old 01-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #1105
tmneyer
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio

won't you go blind?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 AM   #1106
trub quaffer
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Spokane, WA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I gave my brother-in-law some of my black IPA (~75 IBU). He says- "Kind of reminds me of Guinness..."

Old 01-13-2011, 04:49 AM   #1107
tjpfeister

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Green Bay, WI
Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts

At my annual Kegmas party this last year some random girl overheard me explaining the brewing process to a friend; she followed up with "So I can add sugar to make this taste good?"
My smile barely covered up my look of disdain. She clearly had no idea that she was speaking to the brewer, so I found her a few skunky miller lites to suck on while the rest of the party enjoyed my Imperial stout.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #1108
EoinMag
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Dublin, Ireland.
Liked 61 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockdoc View Post
"What is this ?"

Weizenbeer

"OOOOh its so good........its makin my skin blotchy ?....is that normal!?"

You mean you don't know that that can happen to people due to an inability to metabolise acetaldehyde?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)

Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #1109
Danbreeze

Recipes 

Jan 2010
1st State
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had made a batch of Pumpkin Ale this fall and I had someone at a party ask me "This is not bad, but is it supposed to taste like pumpkin?"

No, it's actually a beer I made with black olives that I call Pumpkin Ale because it has a nice ring to it!

Proud member of the Shat in my Pants Brew Club
(ok, I made that one up)

Old 01-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #1110
Super64
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Pepperell, MA
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

There is some real funny sh*t here...