The stupidest comment on your beer - Page 102 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The stupidest comment on your beer

Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #1011
Jakeedaman21

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Carbondale, IL
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I brought some home for my parents during the holidays,

Mom: Is this going to make me go blind?
Me: No... That only happens with distillation
Mom:I don't believe you.
Me:*Facepalm*

On Deck: Air Power Ale
Primary: Snappy Fellow
On Tap:
Gallons Made: 113.5

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 08-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #1012
Grimster

Recipes 

Dec 2009
North Alabama
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeedaman21 View Post
I brought some home for my parents during the holidays,

Mom: Is this going to make me go blind?
Me: No... That only happens with distillation
Mom:I don't believe you.
Me:*Facepalm*
Stupidest thing said about distillation also (sorry had to throw that out there) most of the deaths/blindness is not the shine itself as much as it is the silly crap people have used to cook the shine IN, car radiators/etc or added to the shine later to fool people into thinking it's stronger than it really is (cutting it).

Methanol has a lower boiling point than ethanol so any good moonshiner will dump the first little bit of a run of whiskey and then they make sure all the runoff is mixed together so that any remaining methanol is sufficiently diluted to not be anywhere near dangerous.

Our neighbor when I was a kid was a big time moonshiner and my dad dabbled in it for home use (both are dead now so no fear of them getting popped for it now) so I grew up around it, sometimes even helping haul materials for the neighbor with his tractor back to his operations back in the hard to reach areas of the countryside.

There's also reports (not sure if this is confirmed) that during the Prohibition era the FBI actually spiked moonshine with methanol then let it be sold so that the legend of moonshine killing people could grow, can't find any real proof of this beyond hearsay though.

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 08-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #1013
slowbie
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Raleigh, NC
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimster View Post
Stupidest thing said about distillation also (sorry had to throw that out there) most of the deaths/blindness is not the shine itself as much as it is the silly crap people have used to cook the shine IN, car radiators/etc or added to the shine later to fool people into thinking it's stronger than it really is (cutting it).

Methanol has a lower boiling point than ethanol so any good moonshiner will dump the first little bit of a run of whiskey and then they make sure all the runoff is mixed together so that any remaining methanol is sufficiently diluted to not be anywhere near dangerous.

Our neighbor when I was a kid was a big time moonshiner and my dad dabbled in it for home use (both are dead now so no fear of them getting popped for it now) so I grew up around it, sometimes even helping haul materials for the neighbor with his tractor back to his operations back in the hard to reach areas of the countryside.

There's also reports (not sure if this is confirmed) that during the Prohibition era the FBI actually spiked moonshine with methanol then let it be sold so that the legend of moonshine killing people could grow, can't find any real proof of this beyond hearsay though.
+1. And even if a distiller doesn't dump the beginning of the batch it's not going to be any more dangerous than fermented alcohol unless he dumps a lot of the good part of the batch.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #1014
Grimster

Recipes 

Dec 2009
North Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbie View Post
+1. And even if a distiller doesn't dump the beginning of the batch it's not going to be any more dangerous than fermented alcohol unless he dumps a lot of the good part of the batch.
The big problem is when the moonshiner doesn't mix all his runnings together, if you simply set out 50 1 gallon jugs, jug #1 could be dangerous, but if you mix them into a 50 gallon drum then dispense 50 1 gallon jugs from that, the bad stuff is diluted to the point of non-lethal levels.

Also not using the wrong things for your mash, peel your potatoes, core the apples, no citrus at all, some fruits have naturally more methanol than others do, though ALL have "some" but we're talking minute amounts.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #1015
Jakeedaman21

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Carbondale, IL
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I know that its not the actual process of distillation that can do that... but the stuff people add to it or make it in. It was funny when I finally relented and told her that Id be ok if I ended up going blind. The look on her face was priceless.

On Deck: Air Power Ale
Primary: Snappy Fellow
On Tap:
Gallons Made: 113.5

Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #1016
MrWiggles
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Tuscaloosa, Al
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well this isn't a stupid comment on my homebrew, since my first batch is still bottle conditioning, but a stupid comment none-the-less.
So the story begins with Stammtisch, a weekly meeting for the German club at my university. We recruited some new members this year and one is a long haired guy of 21 years. Well my SWMBO had a couple drinks and was chit chatting with everyone, and told this guy how much she just LOVES long hair on men (mine is growing back out since I donated it a year and a half ago). So this guy, knowing that we are together, and having a girlfriend of his own, now pretty much stalks her and tries to flirt and talk with her all the time (I'm not worried because she's loyal and would kick his @$$ if he tried anything). Well today he was talking to her and trying to flirt and this happens.
Him: So where does whats-his-name get his brew stuff?
Her: ....um, you mean Brett?
Him: ya, sure, whatever. So where does he get it?
Her: Alabrew. But you do know it takes about a month or so before you can drink it right?
Him: Oh ya, sure, I used to brew all the time.

Umm ok, well if you used to brew, why don't you have the equipment and know where to get it?
All of this from a guy who claims to have an IQ of 190. Yes, one-hundred-ninety. Sorry if this was but I had to rant a bit.

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #1017
Grimster

Recipes 

Dec 2009
North Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWiggles View Post
All of this from a guy who claims to have an IQ of 190. Yes, one-hundred-ninety. Sorry if this was but I had to rant a bit.
FFF haha 190, what a douche. Anyway he sounds like the type to rat you out to the fuzz if he ever gets wind that it's (technically) illegal.

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 08-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #1018
MrWiggles
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Tuscaloosa, Al
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimster View Post
FFF haha 190, what a douche. Anyway he sounds like the type to rat you out to the fuzz if he ever gets wind that it's (technically) illegal.
Well im not too worried since he seems to have a hard time remembering my name, and judging by his appearance and actions, I'm sure he does plenty of other things much more illegal than me brewing beer.
But yes, quite the douchemeister. It is pretty entertaining most of the time seeing guys try to hit on SWMBO when I'm right next to her. She isn't the passive type either so she'll let 'em have it when they step too far out of line.

jamiemc18 Likes This 
Old 08-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWiggles View Post
A high intellect quotient is no proof that they are socially competent. Think of the dumbass boss, who can maneuver in social circles with relative ease but the technical geek is very good at solving problems but is unable to hobknob outside his peer circle.

I tend to think highly intelligent people have personality flaws. Lack of the ability to communicate, or the patience to deal with normal people. Not able to fit in socially.

That guy is a dufus. I'd say he took the compliment wrong, and starting wandering into dangerous territory.

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 08-31-2010, 04:43 AM   #1020
MrWiggles
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Tuscaloosa, Al
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
A high intellect quotient is no proof that they are socially competent. Think of the dumbass boss, who can maneuver in social circles with relative ease but the technical geek is very good at solving problems but is unable to hobknob outside his peer circle.

I tend to think highly intelligent people have personality flaws. Lack of the ability to communicate, or the patience to deal with normal people. Not able to fit in socially.

That guy is a dufus. I'd say he took the compliment wrong, and starting wandering into dangerous territory.
I understand what you mean, I've known people that were extremely intelligent people that couldnt keep a meaningful conversation alive. But for real, he was just trying to appear bigger than he was. I read him like a book, a player, if you will, one who is (or at least thinks they are) so good with words to be able to woo weak minded peoples. But for real, the IQ score stops at 140, rising above that only for super-genius level. Leonardo daVinci had an IQ of 180, there is no way this guy has 190 and is 21 years old and still in college rather than some super research lab or somethin like that.
But yes, dangerous territory indeed, I don't even get a chance to defend her. I watched her almost beat up 3 frat guys at a party once because they crossed the line.
Ok sorry to keep that going so long.
We will now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

I took up nuclear physics instead.
Broom Closet Brews

Primary: Empty :(

Clearing Apfelwein

Bottled: Apfelwein mit Pfirschen, Mild w/orange&chocolate

R.I.P. Bareknuckle Brown, Witzbold Weizen