Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Reed's Jamaican style ginger "beer" beer

Old 02-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
beta pleated sheet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Reed's Jamaican style ginger "beer" beer

Alright, so, in case anyone's not familiar with this beverage, it's a ginger ale (like the soda), the "real" kind. You know, loads of spicy ginger. This particular kind is sweetened with honey and pineapple juice. The honey flavor is almost as intense as the ginger, and the pineapple kind of hits you at the end with some of the residual ginger heat.

I want to make a beer (extract + grains, or mini mash) that has some of these flavors. Honey malt would have to be a must, maybe some light crystal and I'd like to keep it close to a pale ale sort of color.

Now, there are a couple of things that have me scratching my head. Namely hops. I'm thinking since it has citrusy flavors cascade or something in that family is a natural choice. But since the citrus is so subtle, should I cut out the pineapple juice so it doesn't compete with the ginger?

Another thing is using spices. I've only made one spiced beer (a black ginger ale), and that time I was following a recipe. So, I'm understandably a little unsure about amounts and when to add. Would it be a good idea to add the ginger to secondary, like you do when dry hopping?

Well, theoretically, I could just add the soda to the wort, since it's perservative free, but I don't know if I can get my hands on enough of it. Besides, figuring things out like this is more fun!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I guess no one saw this..... bump

Old 02-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

If you likde the black ginger ale...start with that as you base recipe and using a program like beer calculus or beertools, and start replacing the malts and grains in that recipe with lighter ones...

How was that one hopped?

Another thought....Do you like redstripe? Try digging for a clone of that and use it as a base.

I'd like to see the recipe you come up with and hear about your results...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Hops = Amarillo is one option .... Cascade is usually called "Grapefruit-y" whereas Amarillo seems to be half grapefruit, half pineapple. My Amarillo-Simcoe-Pacific Gem IPA that is currently in primary smells of pineapple fruit punch.

I will lurk, this looks interesting, and beta is cool.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 02-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Amarillo, honey malt, split the ginger half at 15 minutes & in the secondary. About a pound seems to be a goodly amount.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Amarillo, honey malt, split the ginger half at 15 minutes & in the secondary. About a pound seems to be a goodly amount.
That sounds really good.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 704 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Simcoe is another good hop choice for some pineapple character. Skip the juice completely and use a pretty hefty late addition of Simcoe and maybe a little Amarillo as your sole hops addition.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
mummasan
Recipes 

I added ginger to two separate brews at the end of the boil - I used .5 oz for a five gallon batch.

The one that had more ginger flavor was ginger that had been frozen then thawed before I added it. It was a bit like ginger pulp. The ginger that I used that had not been frozen added less to the beer.

The two ginger beers I made also had moscobado sugar and a small amount of coriander. I like ginger beer - but just a touch of flavor and aroma.