possible temp difference btw yeast and wort/water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomaso

Reaction score
Even though I've read quite a bit of the literature there are a few things that i'm still not exactly sure about....

1.) Never pitch yeast into wort that is warmer than itself. Correct?

2.) The yeast should be pitched into wort that is at or a bit below the fermentation temp. Correct?

3.) If my rehydrated yeast/Starter is at room temp (i.e. 22C) and my ferm temp is 17C then I pitch 22C yeast into 16-17C wort, right? doesn't the yeast get shocked from the big temp difference btw wort and itself?

4.) to rehydrate dry yeast (e.g. Saf-04) the water should be 27C (+-3C); But how cold or warm can the yeast itself be that I put into the 27C water?
What if the ambient temp is cold, let's say around 10C, do I need to warm up the dry yeast and the water somehow to around 27 to rehydrate it?

thanks!

If you research all this even more you will find out people don't do that all the time. Any of it. Check out the confession thread in general techniques. I would just pitch my dry yeast, sometimes I warmed it up some times I threw it into wort that was 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

Back