Interpreting water report from Ward Labs - Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got water report back from Ward Labs. I just got my sink and pot filler installed. The sample was drawn from well water that does not run through the water softener.

Also, I installed an inline whole house water filter that I can utilize (but I removed the filter for the sample).

I was wondering if anyone could give me some input on this. I have a decent idea of whats going on here from a chemistry standpoint... but do not have any experience on what exactly I will need to add to the water to make it ideal for brewing. Thanks in advance!

water report.png

Your water looks pretty hard. Brunwater will help you figure that out. Stouts and porters should be good. Otherwise, you're going to need to use either acid malt or just straight acid. You may want to post in the Brew Science forum. AJ and Martin (he wrote Brunwater) are extremely helpful gurus there.

I suggest dilution of your water with either distilled or RO water. Doing a 80% dilution (4 gallons of distilled : 1 gallon of tap) will get your numbers better in line with a good "blank" slate, and from there you can build up your water by adding salts (or acid, if necessary).

Check out AJ's "Water Chemistry Primer" in the Beer Science section. I've not turned back since adopting much of what he suggests in there.

Back