Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Secondary in the Keg - Airlock or No Airlock?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 183 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Originally Posted by hollywoodbrew View Post
I'm in the same boat here, and I'd like to rack from primary to lager in a keg.

Do I need to rack to another keg after aging is finished? My lagers have a lot of soluble gunk at the bottom when they are finished. Would this clog up the works? Should I run it through a filter straight from the lager keg? Or rack, then filter? Or like the above, just pour out the first couple pints?
i go straight from primary to kegs with my lagers, a nd then I serve from those same kegs. After sitting 3 weeks in primary and a couple-6 months lagering the sediment is a very thin, dense layer on the bottom of the keg. I don't modify my kegs. And most of my lagers are brewed for Oktoberfest so they get moved from the fridge in the garage to the ice bucket in the backyard and I've never had an issue with sediment after moving them.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
Liked 1656 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Just seal it up, you may need pressure to get a seal. I would hook it up either way and gas it just enough to know it iisn't leaking.

I would love for the beer to make a little co2 in secondary. If it starts to carb itself that is just a bonus. Why use an airlock?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

G'day, newbie here, been brewin' for 12 months now and am building my all grain system. Gonna be a bit like the braumeister but with a sparge setup (digressing straight away, sorry). My first all grain starts are pretty cloudy so I'm setting up a filter from "The Filter Store" and will use soda kegs as my secondary's, it'll save me a bit of work and reduce the handling and hopefully the chance of infections decanting to a keg from the plastic secondary's I use now. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for all the data on this threa, thought I needed to modify an airlock for the keg but now know it won't matter.

Cheers & beers
Just do it, it works...