Imperial bourbon coffee porter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berheidebrau

Reaction score
Looking to make imperial bourbon coffee porter...what's your best method for adding coffee...looking for all grain 5g batch...thanks!

There are a number of ways to go. You can add to the boil, add to primary/secondary or add to bottling bucket/keg. I prefer making some cold brew coffee and adding it to my bottling bucket a little at a time until the flavor is right. My last coffee stout I boiled and cooled 2.5 cups of water and added 1/2 cup (4 oz by vol) ground coffee. Left it in the fridge for a day. After filtering the grounds out, that amounted to about 2 cups of cold brew in the bottling bucket, which was just right for 5 gal. The reason to cold brew (i.e. don't put the grounds in hot water) is that hot or boiling water will extract head-killing oils from the coffee. Cold brewing won't.

I haven't had great luck, but I need to refine my process. What I've been hearing to do is to make a very strong batch of COLD PRESSED coffee and add to secondary/bottling.

This means using a french press with cold water and letting it sit overnight.

When I tried it last I was impatient and only let it sit for about 4 hours. Not nearly enough coffee flavor IMO.

I have yet to try it, but I've been reading that adding the whole beans, like a dry hop, to secondary is the way to go. I plan on trying this on a double oatmeal stout I have in primary right now. I think this is the method that Old Sock uses to get coffee aroma/flavor into his beers

i second the whole bean dry hop. I started using this method after i read it on that site and never went back

I add a half to one ounce of whole beans per gallon, to the fermenter, for 5 to 7 days before bottling. I have had excellent results.

Thanks all! Looking forward to it! Perhaps a combo "dry-bean" and cold pressed bottling?

My wife and I are actually looking into a coffee ale. We've been doing a lot of "market research" and have been adding varied amounts of cold brewed coffee to different commercial beers. We could brew the coffee for are least a day if not longer. Then we do (4) 3 oz pours of our beverage of choice. The first pour gets nothing and is used as a base. The second gets 5mL of coffee, the second gets 10mL, and the third gets 15mL. You can add more of you REALLY want coffee flavor. We've tried this with Bell's brown ale and an imperial stout brewed with dehusked dark grains for less bitterness. We expected the stout to have a 'black cup of Joe' flavor but the brown took on an interesting iced coffee note. Still have more research to do but adding cold brew coffee is the easiest to control but the beauty of home Brewing is doing whatever you want. You can also really vary it up by changing what type of coffee you use (avoid flavored). Oh and we found that 15mL in 3oz ratio seems to be the sweet spot for our tastes.

Back