The Martian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmanzorro

Reaction score
Anybody else notice the 5 bbl fermenter in The Martian? I think it was supposed to be part of the water reclaimer, but definitely was a fermenter.

My older kid went to see it by herself. She said it was really good, so I'll probably want to go out ASAP to see it. Can't tonight, but I hope to this week. I'll be looking for his homebrew rig!

You know you're a homebrewer when...you spot brewing gear in a space movie.

Anyone else see the brewing rig in Furious 7?

It's in the scene where Kurt Russell's character brings Vin Diesel back to the hangar and offers him some Belgian Ale. He pours a glass from a tap, and in the background you can see some Sanke kegs. But they look like they've been modified for brewing, not serving. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure you can make out a thermometer and a sight glass on one of the keggles.

It's in the scene where Kurt Russell's character brings Vin Diesel back to the hangar and offers him some Belgian Ale. He pours a glass from a tap, and in the background you can see some Sanke kegs. But they look like they've been modified for brewing, not serving. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure you can make out a thermometer and a sight glass on one of the keggles.

Yeah, Russell's character was a big beer fan. I noticed the homebrew rig immediately in the backdrop (the scene in the hangar)

Yeah, Russell's character was a big beer fan. I noticed the homebrew rig immediately in the backdrop (the scene in the hangar)

Brew-Magic V350MS, Can even see the beggining of the name near Kurt Russels knees.

UNwbHMy.jpg

Saw the Martian on Saturday but missed the fermenter darn it. Decent movie though.

Loved the book - read it in two days while vacationing on the Cape of Cod, could not put it down.
When I heard there would be a movie - and then that Damon would play Watney - I almost peed my pantaloons.

Saw the movie with the Spousal Unit on Sunday and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
It really just scrapes the real depth of the book but it's about all they could do in 150 minutes, and they did a great job of it...

Cheers!

I dont usually go for space movies or things of the sort, but this one I want to see. It looks like he is in a plausible situation where actually has to survive and doesnt just save himself easily by using futuristic gadgets/equipment, etc.

On a side note, Black Mass is def worth seeing.

Just finished the book yesterday. Really interesting read. I sure hope they convey his sense of humour in the movie.

Plan to see this ass soon as our schedule will permit.

Or barring that, I'll leave the wife home and go watch myself. She tried to make a deal where she goes with me to see this and I have to watch her movie with her. She says it's "fair". I say I never made her go see a movie she didn't want to see, so how is it fair to guilt someone into something they dont' want to do?

I'll probably end up seeing her stupid movie...

I'd like to see in 3D, but my wife can't handle it, so if she goes, I'm watching in 2D. Which is fine, I guess. Compared to having a sick wife.

I really like the 3D-ness of the video logs where the screen data just floated there.

My schedule is preventing me from watching this until at least this weekend. I'm getting antsy.

Anyone know where they shot the film? Is the environment all CGI, or were they in some desert?

My schedule is preventing me from watching this until at least this weekend. I'm getting antsy.

Anyone know where they shot the film? Is the environment all CGI, or were they in some desert?

Sure looked like Mars to me! I looked closely to see how much of the landscape was CGI. There were some vistas that looked slightly painted, but that might have been me looking too hard. It was pretty danged cool.

My son said one of the characters in the movie is a rap star in real life. The character was Pursell (or similar), the black physics whiz kid working for NASA. Not sure who he is in real life.

Sure looked like Mars to me! I looked closely to see how much of the landscape was CGI. There were some vistas that looked slightly painted, but that might have been me looking too hard. It was pretty danged cool.

My son said one of the characters in the movie is a rap star in real life. The character was Pursell (or similar), the black physics whiz kid working for NASA. Not sure who he is in real life.

Donald Glover is a comedian and song performer he is the "black physics whiz kid working for NASA"

I really enjoyed the movie. Definitely laughed out loud a few times. A lot funnier than I expected. The Fonzie "Eyyyy!" was one of my favorite parts, humor-wise.

Rich Purnell is the guy who calculated an alternate plan for the rescue mission using the *Removed to prevent spoilers*. He was played by Donald Glover (Troy on Community, and current "rapper" and comedian.)

Oh, I see Sean Bean is playing the ****** Mitch! He would be a good fit there.

I had no idea there were so many good actors in this! I want to see it all the more, now!

I didn't find Sean Bean's character to be a ****** in the movie. I thought Jeff Daniels character was much *****y-er. Possibly, these characters were portrayed a bit differently in the movie than they were in the book (I did not read the book)

I didn't find Sean Bean's character to be a ****** in the movie. I thought Jeff Daniels character was much *****y-er. Possibly, these characters were portrayed a bit differently in the movie than they were in the book (I did not read the book)

Granted, Mitch was a smaller part in the book, but his appearances were usually marked by his poor personality. IIRC.

It's entirely possible they didn't play each part exactly as the book portrays them. Films tend to do that.

I can't even remember what Teddy was like, but I think he may have been the straight NASA dude who wanted to hide facts from people to preserve them from their emotions. He seemed to be a bit *****ey, but for the right reasons (as he saw them).

Back