Oatmeal Coffee Milk Stout - First Recipe Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa_Legba

Reaction score
I'm 3 brews in, so basically an expert I figure :D As a result, I'm going big on #4 both in terms of style and creating my own recipe. Any feedback is appreciated.

Partial Mash

GRAIN
-------------
1.25 lb UK Crystal 60L
8 oz Brown
4 oz Chocolate
4 oz Black Patent
4 oz Roast Barley
1 lb Flaked Oats

6.6 lbs LME

HOPS
--------------
1.5 oz EK Goldings 60 min

OTHER
-------------
1 lb Lactose 15 min
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient 15 min
8 oz maltodextrin 15 min
Whirlfloc 15 min

MASH
--------------
~155 for 45 minutes

YEAST
---------------
WLP006 (Bedford British) or Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread Ale)

BOTTLING
---------------
5 oz corn sugar
Chameleon Cold Brew Concentrate - AMOUNT TBD??!!??!?

This is a steep, not a PM, as there are no base malts to provide enzymes.

Since there is nothing to provide any conversion of starches, I wonder what contribution the Oats will give.

I would recommend adding 2 lbs of base malt (2-row is fine), and doing a mini mash. You will get more out of most of the malts you are using, and a lot of added sugar.

Why lactose in an oatmeal stout? This is not a milk stout?

Why any Maltodextrin?

I think extract beers leave a lot of sweetness, I'm not sure adding non-fermentable sugars (lactose and malto) wil do much more than make this a very sweet beer.

Mash temp doesn't really make much difference if you are not mashing (no enzymes).

I'm not a great fan of black malt, but it is probably fine. I think I would probably increase the Chocolate and lower the C90. But could be fine as is.

I've never found a need for yeast nutrient. In cider or wine maybe, but not beer.

What is the cold brew concentrate. I suspect no-one knows what it is (Coffee, I'm sure, but know nothing else). I just add a half to an ounce of whole beans (per gallon) to seconday for a week before bottling - works great for me.

I would say: minimash with 2 lbs of 2-row, lose the malto, cut the lactose to 8 oz and cut the roast & black to 2 oz each. The last recommendation is more personal taste. But that much lactose and malto will leave it very sweet and with a very high FG.

My 2 cents...
1) Axe the lactose, as other said, this is not a milk stout.
2) add 1 more lbs oatmeal...this IS an oatmeal stout. I add 1lb to all stouts.
3) Axe the black patent...I don't care what others say, this DOES add flavor and a harsh one, at least to me.
4) Maybe drop the hop addition to 1-1.2oz if your aiming for sweeter.

But then again...this is what home brewing is ALL about! Go for it and see what happens! Might be too sweet for me, but I'm not drinking it.

Agree with the above posters on everything except black patent malt, love that stuff. I have a sick Chai Tea Milk stout that it accounts for about 5% of the grain bill. It adds a little flavor that I love.

I use Oatmeal in all of my stouts, love what it brings to the table. I have a great Milk Stout that I use it in.

Back