New Omega Yeast: Hothead & C2C American Farmhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers77

Vendor
Reaction score
We got new yeast from Omega Yeast labs today.

OYL-057: HotHead Ale
-- An ale strain of Norwegian origin that has an astoundingly wide temperature range (62F-98F) with little difference in flavor profile across the whole range. It has a unique fruitiness that makes it complementary to modern hop varieties. Attenuation: 75-85%; Flocculation: medium-high; Temperature: 62F-98F.

OYL-217: C2C American Farmhouse -- A "coast to coast" blend of a saison strain from a famous Northeast U.S. brewery and a Brettanomyces strain from a Northwest U.S. brewery. The blend results in a fast developing fruity and funky farmhouse ale. Attenuation: 75-85%; Flocculation: low; Temperature: 68F-80F.

A few weeks back I brewed a Belgian Wit with Wy3944 as a baseline and then did a split batch with Omega HotHead - 057.

Both batches fermented side by side at 62-64 degrees. The HotHead fermented out quicker and ended up with a more fruity profile than the Wy3944. At a local homebrewers meeting the Growler of HotHead Wit kicked long before the straight Belgian Wit.

I've got lots of recipes to try this new yeast on. Give it a try!

I used Hot Head in a braggot (it's Norwegian after all) and fermented in the upper 70's. I'm pretty impressed with how clean it fermented.

A lhbs not too far from me has it, I'll pick some up next week. I still haven't figured out a grain build for it yet though. I got a few days to figure it out though.

Its a pretty versatile yeast. The fermentation is quick and the fermentation range tested was 62-90 degrees.

Its pretty forgiving. I brewed a Wit but I could see it in a DIPA or APA/IPA which is what I'm going to try next.

i've been fermenting using OYL-057, and the attenuation seems to be on the low side. right around 75%. I have been fermenting since 10/17.

I didn't take into consideration my grain build, it fermented nicely and the taste is pretty good. I feel that it should age little more for clarity, bit that isn't on the yeast. I will use the yeast again

Back