Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Anyone oak their cider?

Old 02-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
RadicalEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Anyone oak their cider?

I finally pulled my english style cider out of my primary, after 5 or so months. As I was bottling I realized that I didn't have nearly enough bottles, so I grabbed a free 1 gallon jug and decided to bulk age it for a while. Then I noticed I have a back of oak sitting next to the jug, just begging to be used. So has has anyone had any experience with cider on oak? Will I need to be pulling it off after just a few days, or can I leave it on there for a month or two?

Thanks in advance!

PS: yes, I did a search, but cider, afelwein and oak didn't return anything of interest)

Old 02-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
weasle708
Recipes 

i did and was very happy with the results. I let the oak chips sit in the cider for 2weeks then bottled it. the first week after bottling it had a strong taste but as the weeks turned into months the cider tastes great and has a very complex flavor. can't wait to make another batch next year.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks, Weasle! I was getting worried with no replies here . Might be a candidate for the "oxygen barrier" caps, then .

Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
vapor2020
Recipes 

I used oak extract on my last batch and it made a world of difference. My brewshop reccomended letting the oak chips sit for 6 weeks.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
GrantLee63
Recipes 

I use 2 ounces of medium toast American oak cubes per 6 gallon batch of cider. Typically, I'll infuse for 3 months before racking off. Oak and cider go together very well indeed. Keep in mind that my ciders and apfelweins follow the following fermentation / aging sequence:

2 months primary
3 months secondary (with oak)
7 months - MINIMUM - bulk-aged before kegging and / or bottling.

Most ciders are drank way too early IMHO - let a batch bulk-age for a year or two and you'll know what I'm talking about.

- GL63

Old 03-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
liquidavalon
Recipes 

Default Aging the Brew...

I would have to agree with GrantLee63...maybe try French Oak...that is what top wine makers use and I think it might mellow the taste a little...but who knows.

Eric