Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Gain in the fermenter!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default First All Gain in the fermenter!

Just wanted to say I "joined the ranks" today.
Started around 5:30 - 6:00 and just finished cleaning up; 5.5 or 6 hours start to finish. Tired, but feeling pretty good.

Did all the set up countdown items the past two weeks:
-Hours of reading up/researching others questions & answers and posts here on HBT-Thanks to all.
-Got my pre-crushed kit from AustinHomebrew (Shiner Bock clone)-I wanted something simple for the first batch (also took advantage of the 10% sale two weeks ago-Thanks Forrest!).
-I finished building my counter flow chiller last week (I've got 20 - 22 feet of 3/8 copper left may just post that in classifieds).
-Assembled the turkey fryer Thursday night.

Here's how things went:
My Rubbermaid rectanglular cooler with CPVC piping did great- it kept 150 degrees for the full hour, and the grains were still about 145 degrees two hours later (post sparging).
The turkey fryer from Lowes worked good, kept a solid rolling boil for 60-70 minutes.
The CFC also worked great-about 190-200 degrees in, 60 degrees out, the hose water was on only a trickle...My syphon was also a trickle, it took almost 30 minutes to drain the kettle (I'll have to get it higher next time and see if that will help).
I did not measure efficiency, but it had to be pretty good-the target OG is 1.045, I had 1.044 (it might have even been 1.045). Tasted pretty good also.
Again, keeping it simple, I used dry yeast-I just checked it after cleanup (about 2 hours after pitching), and it is already blowing and occasional bubble from the blow off tube.

Tired, but phsyched , I 've got a couple of weeks to empty a keg and get this brew aging/conditioning...

Thinking ahead, I've made Papazian's Rocky Raccoon Honey Lager several times (always enjoyable), so I will probably make a double batch next-one extract, one all-grain, and see how they compare.

Thanks again for a great helpful community here at HBT, it is a great resource.
When I started homebrewing in 1990, all I had was Papazian's book and a couple of friends that were only a few batches ahead of me....

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...
Old 02-10-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
Liked 137 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #3

Thats great! Congratulations!
Addicted to HomeBrew
Primary: Pomegranate Mead
Secondary: EdWort's Apfelwine
Conditioning/Aging: Belgian Double, Scotch Ale, Citris Hefe
Drinking: Cyser, APA,
On Deck: Munich Dunkel
Projects: Whats Next?
The Answer To Your Question is: Welcome to Tomorrow
Old 02-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Ale's What Cures You!
Liked 6654 Times on 4741 Posts
Likes Given: 1856

Sounds like all your research paid off and it went so smoothly for you. Thanks for letting us know, and good luck with the next batch!
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook:
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

An AG brew day without any problems, you can't ask for anything better then that.

Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear