First Annual Portland, OR AG Brew Fest 3/29

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a plasma cutter so assuming no one else does either I will bring what I have that makes holes in metal, and whats required to run them.

That would be great thanks.

Also, yesterday I ordered a Barley Crusher and it should be here in plenty of time to be able to use next Saturday.

Only a week away fellas, I'm looking forward to it. I'm not going to brew, but am definately going to observe/assist some of you all who have more AG experience than me. I think this would be the best way to benefit from this event. And, I'll drink a few as well.

I'm getting pretty excited about this, myself. I'm still undecided what I want to brew while I'm there. I have the fixins for the VCCA, a tripel, or a red ale.

Do we have a final count of definite maybes going to attend?

WEll, I know blacklab had to back out, but I think the following are pretty solid:
Brewtopia
EvilTOJ
McKBrew
Joker
Kilted Brewer (I'd sure hopw so)

And maybe two others. And I'm still struggling with what to do. I have a bunch of ingredients laying around I'd like to use...Thoughts on the below recipe?:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.16 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 15.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
9.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Bullion (Mad Scientist) [7.40 %] (80 min) FWH
0.50 oz Bullion (Mad Scientist) [7.40 %] (60 min) 12.2 IBU
0.50 oz Yakima Goldings [4.20 %] (45 min) 5.7 IBU
0.50 oz Mad Scientist Amarillo [7.00 %] (15 min) 5.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (Steinbarts) [6.80 %] (Dry Hop 3 Hops)
1 Pkgs Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) Yeast-Ale

I'm planning on doing a one day trip (down and back) right now contrary to my prior plans, so no late night fun for me, but I am bringing down my bottle of Rogue Menage a Frog to share and probably something else as well.

I will be bringing:
Tools to hack open kegs
Brewing equipment
A Stout, Brown Ale and Hefe homebrews.

Good show on the Hefe. I've got one on tap right now that I'd love to compare and get some feed back on. I'm my own worst critique so it makes it hard to really "judge" my own brews.

Weather report seems to be changing for the positive. Maybe a little chilly, but that's ok.

It's been pretty damn cold here the last few mornings, but cool weather will be great for brewing.

With 3-5 burners going Im sure we will be wearing shorts and t-shirts in no time.

Hitch in the plans for me. We are moving soon and SWMBO scheduled the garage sale over the brewday. It's the only available weekend before the move. Arrrrgh!

On another note: Hopworks Urban Brewery is opening tonight. My buddy Christian is the owner/brewer. We'll be there - anyone else?

blacklab said:
On another note: Hopworks Urban Brewery is opening tonight. My buddy Christian is the owner/brewer. We'll be there - anyone else?

I've been trying to figure out how to get SWMBO on board for hitting HUB tonight. Tuesday's are her days of spending close to 3 hours at the gym. BUT, she had some of their Espresso Stout at the Spring Beer Fest last week and LOVED it.

Maybe I'll see you there.

I'll be the one with the $hiteating grin on my face and a beer in my hand-check my gallery for a pic of me. Will you be 'kilted'?

How was HUB? It turned in to a pretty "eventful" night last night. Long story short, SWMBO purchased a "floor model" laptop from BestBuy that they needed to remove their demo software from. Well, not only did they remove that, but they removed the OS as well....Nice.....

Anyway...back to the topic at hand...Will those brewing be bringing packaged water, or be looking to take it from the "tap"? No problem either way, just working out logistics (need to make sure SWMBO is happy and the dogs fon't freak...) I've got pretty hard water, FYI.

I'm having crazy thoughts right now of trying to get up ubber early and do two batches on Saturday...It's kind of scary....

I will be needing to borrow your water. I promise to give it back, honest! It'd better be from one of those lead laced hoses too! I like the extra tang the lead gives the brew :D

Oooo note to self: top off the propane tank 'just in case'

Hopworks was GOING OFF last night. Wait for a 2 top table was 1.5 hrs, and the bar was easily four deep. The owners were stoked. I've seen the facility in process, but not for awhile. It's one of the coolest brewpubs I've been to. Very 'Portland' looking. Modern, but with lots of natural surfaces and soft angles. And of course...great beer. New brewpub tip: when you are wearing your 8 month old on the frontpack, people let you through to the bar!

Good tip on the baby...of course, I'd need to have kids for that to work.

Just got back from the LHBS (love working 2 blocks away) and got the goods for the weekend. 50# sack of domestic 2 row and some specialty grains for 2 batches. That's right, I'm gonna try to fit 2 in. So I should be up and running when everyone arrives.

Cool.

Does anyone need extra equipment for the day? I can provide a MLT, burner, propane, and a 10G brewpot if say for example Kilted wants to have two going at the same time.

If you've got an extra burner....but then I'd need to get another propane tank...Nah, I'll just get up at 6am!!!! OMG!!!!!!!

Hey, did somebody say they're bringing tools to cut open kegs? I 'acquired' one off of craigslist and I was wondering if I could get the top cut off of one too. I already have one I use as my boiler but you can never have too many kegs :D

EDIT: I reed gud. Joker's bringing some cutting gear.

Kilted Brewer said:
If you've got an extra burner....but then I'd need to get another propane tank...Nah, I'll just get up at 6am!!!! OMG!!!!!!!

I'd be willing to provide the tank as well, esp. if you are willing to give me some hands on brew training.

McKBrew said:
I'd be willing to provide the tank as well, esp. if you are willing to give me some hands on brew training.

If it's not too much trouble, bring what you can. At the very least I can get the second batch's strike water, etc heating up. Only have one pot large enough to handle a full boil and one MLT so no way of doing both at once.

Darn weather report keeps changing and it looks like rain again for Saturday. Oh well...

I can deal with the rain, but hope I start feeling better or I might be changing my plans. I slept like axx last night, then my daughter was up sick, and I woke up sick and feeling like hammered dogshxt. I plan on washing down some Nyquil with beer tonight and see how I feel.

Ok plans have changed slightly for me.

I am still coming and bringing a friend but I won't be brewing. I will still be bringing tools and should be there around 10:00.

Yeah, I'm contract brewing for you. (using your equipment). Seriously, I thought Evil was brewing as well. Maybe I'll pick up some ingredients if you are the only one, so you don't feel left out.

As strange as it sounds I still might be.

What I have going on is a run away niece that we have been looking for in Portland. We just got recent information that she has been seen so there is a better chance we might find her. I have been spending my nights looking for her so I have not had time to get supplies and make a starter and all that.

Saturday my plan currently is to hang out at your place for a bit cut some kegs then my friend and I were going to do some urban mountain biking looking for my niece some more. Figuring the Goth kids don't get up till afternoon that would give us some time at your place before we start looking.

I will definitely be brewing a belgian tripel on Saturday. Joker, if you want, I have a red ale or cheese's VCCA recipe all ready to go if all you need is ingredients.

You should also check Pioneer Square in downtown and maybe ride up and down the max. That's where most of the hooligans hang out.

EvilTOJ said:
I will definitely be brewing a belgian tripel on Saturday. Joker, if you want, I have a red ale or cheese's VCCA recipe all ready to go if all you need is ingredients.

You should also check Pioneer Square in downtown and maybe ride up and down the max. That's where most of the hooligans hang out.

I was passing on brewing just so I could get to looking sooner. Going to assist with cutting kegs checking out people getting to the mash and possible hang around for the sparge and then move on to look around some more.

I have been in Portland everynight until 10:00'ish. We met a great group of Goth kids last night that say they have seen her. I even got a call from one of them last night saying they thought they saw her but it turned out to be a look alike. We have talked to people that have definitely seen and talked to her so we know she is still in the area and surviving the weather.

Ah OK, I just thought I'd offer anyways.

Sorry about your niece. I know when I was a teenager I was omniscient and indestructible, but kids these days are fools!

blacklab said:
So - how did things go? Any pics?

I think we all had a good time. Brewtopia, McKBrew, Joker, Evil were all on hand. Evil and I were the only ones brewing. And thanks to Evil I was able to do my second batch. Brewtopia, Evil and McKBrew were all snapping shots through out the day so I am sure we'll see some pics at some point.

Overall if you take away the spilled grains and the weather I think all went well. Evil and I both hit our OG's spot on. My efficiency went up a few points with the new Barley Crusher (even with leaving the rubber gasket on! :drunk: )...

Brewtopia brought down some great beers we sampled through out the day. Some his, some not.

I had a great time. Even with the weather it was a good day. Had a few beers, a bucket of meat, who could ask for more. Kilted Brewer had a great Blood Orange Hefeweizen on tap and EvilTOJ's Kolsch was spot on. I could have drank those two beers all afternoon.

Here are a few pics

Left to Right - Joker, Joker's buddy, Kilted Brewer, McKBrew, EvilTOJ
March 2008 027.JPG
Kilted Brewer mashing in while McKBrew documents the action
March 2008 029.JPG
EvilTOJ prepares to vorlauf
March 2008 030.JPG
McKBrew opens his pores
March 2008 032.JPG
McKBrew and Kilted Brewer watch as EvilTOJ manages his hop additions
March 2008 037.JPG

Back