Did my fermentation stall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaHomeBrewer

Reaction score
Two weeks ago (9/5/15) I brewed my milk stout. I've tweaked the recipe a lot over the last 5 times I've made it. Here is the recipe, I call it "Narwahl's Lactation".

8 lb British Pale Morris Otter
2 lb Victory Malt
1 lb Black Patton Malt
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb dextrose (start of boil
1 lb Lactose (start of boil)

.25 tsp irish moss for last 10 minutes of boil

.5 oz cluster 60 min
.5 ounce cluster 30 min
1 oz perle 5 min

Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale

Mashed at 155 for 90 minutes
Mash with 20 Chai Tea packets in with the grains for the last 30 minutes
Mashed out at 160 for 10 minutes

60 minute boil

Post boil/cool down my gravity reading was 1.0725

I fermented at 65 degrees (in my new ferm chamber :) )

I did do a yeast starter. Used 4 liters water, 400 grams DME

After two weeks my gravity reading today was 1.03. BeerSmith says my final gravity should get down to 1.018. Krausen dropped after week 1, and even with some vigorous shaking throughout this week i couldn't get the airlock to bubble. Was going to keg it today but took a reading and it seemed pretty high still.

I went ahead and transferred it into a secondary into a glass carboy.

Do you think that it will finish up OK after a week in the secondary fermenting at 65? Should I crank up the temp to get things going again?

Should I re-pitch yeast?

Or should I just leave it alone and let it sit for a week and take another gravity reading?

*Edit - I did drink the sample for gravity reading and it was delicious. I was just hoping to get the ABV higher, above 7%.

If you made this a number of times before where did it finish? You have to check the non-fermentable box for lactose in order for Beersmith to consider it in the FG calculation, and even then IME FG estimation is the least accurate aspect of most software calculations including BS. Given that the lactose alone adds 7 pts to the FG, 1.018 sounds way too low an estimate for that recipe, mash temp, and a low attenuating yeast like Whitbread. Still may be a tad high but I wouldn't expect too much more regardless of what you do.

1 lbs of lactose is gonna give a fairly high FG although 1.030 is still up there, I would imagine 1.025-.020

recipe looks yummy

15% roasted malts (mostly unfermentable sugars)
1 lb lactose (completely unfermentable)
low attenuating yeast
moderate-high mash temp

I suspect you're about where you'll end up. If it tastes good and the gravity is stable - bottle/keg it!

Just an update. Took a gravity reading today after 4 days in secondary. Small layer of yeast on the bottom and it did fall to 1.02. Tasted better than it did at 1.03, little less sweet. Kegged it up and cranked the air pressure.

Back