Help with stuck sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd_brewbie

Reaction score
I have done 4 brews with my keggle mash tun (acquired on Craig's list) and I feel I am always fighting a stuck sparge resulting in missed numbers.

I am brewing on a single tier rig with dual pumps. I find that a lot of grain is getting underneath my false bottom and clogging my dip tube or my pump. Even during the vorlauf my tube will get clogged. I generally clear by back flushing with a pump from my HLT. Attached are pictures in my mash tun, the dip tube and my false bottom.

Help me improve my setup.

View attachment 1442160790498.jpg

View attachment 1442160806377.jpg

View attachment 1442160830781.jpg

So does it seem to be that your pickup tube is getting clogged or is the bed is compacting resulting in a stuck sparge? If it's just the pickup clogging, does the copper sit flush on the bottom of the keggle so that it's pulling through those two holes? If so, I'd try changing that up so that it's resting a bit above the bottom of the keggle. The pump really shouldn't have a hard time passing grain bits and husks through. At least on my setup it doesn't.

Other things I can think of...if it's the grain bed compacting, are you using high proportions of wheat or rye? I know some use the auto door trim molding around the edge of their FB to get a better seal between the FB and the keggle. That might help prevent grain from getting under the FB. Also, are you doing batch sparge or fly sparge? And how much do you have the ball valve open when you're sparging?

I fly sparge, keeping the valves almost closed for a slow flow. My problems are generally during the vorlauf. So much grain comes through it clogs the out valve from my MLT and even my hoses if am trying to use them.

I can try cutting the end of the dip tube on an angle to prevent it getting stuck on the bottom, but don't think that is my problem as once I get through all the crazy grain it does run smooth.

Get a few feet of silicon tubing maybe 4. Split the tubing lengthwise and slip over the edged of your false bottom. Cut to fit. Secure It in a few places with some small copper wire through the holes in the false bottom. This will increase the size of your FB giving a snug fit to your mashtun and should stop the grain from slipping underneath the FB. Look a this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=338617

The gap between the two halves of the false bottom looks like it's wider than it should be and may allow grain threw as well. Especially when doughing in and stirring the mash. Not sure what you could use to narrow the gap? Maybe 1 or 2 pieces of thin copper wire looped through and twist tied to hold the two halves tighter together?? And you could re-drill the holes on your dip tube to a larger size.

Get a few feet of silicon tubing maybe 4. Split the tubing lengthwise and slip over the edged of your false bottom. Cut to fit. Secure It in a few places with some small copper wire through the holes in the false bottom. This will increase the size of your FB giving a snug fit to your mashtun and should stop the grain from slipping underneath the FB. Look a this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=338617

+1, this would be my first step. It does look like a lot of space around the sides.

When I first started using a pump to vorlauf, I found that I could not run the pump while doughing in or stirring as this would cause a stuck sparge.

Thanks all. I think I will try some tubing first and if I still have problems try some of the other suggestions here.

Thanks all. I think I will try some tubing first and if I still have problems try some of the other suggestions here.

Hope you figure it out as it definitely interrupts the brew day... I've had a bought of stuck sparges myself but think I've got mine resolved.

Good luck!

:mug:

1 Wait 15 min after you dough in before using a pump.
2 Slow the flow with a valve on the outlet side of the pump
3 check you gap, if milling you or your Lhbs may be milling the grain to fine or off center with one side to tight.
4 Add Rice hulls to the mash if your using lots of adjuncts.
5 raise you pickup tube to 3/8 off the floor of the tun. You'll loose about 1qt but it will let the fine grain settle below the pickup tube.

Back