The Best Craft Brewery in Each State?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm from Alabama and have to argue our winner. Back Forty makes some great beer, but Good People and Avondale are my picks for the "best".

Naming Breakside Brewing Oregon's best is a surprising choice that I disagree with. I would have nominated Crux Fermentation Project (these guys put out unusual, fantastic beers of many styles) or Barley Browns (their Pallet Jack is hands down the best IPA produced in Oregon IMO).

I take HUGE issue with their NJ pick.
Carton is a good Brewer and enjoys popularity in our state, however I feel it's mainly due to marketing and canning their beer.
KANE is the king of NJ if you're looking for our best beers.
They're not gonna make a bacon grilled parm cheese sour like Carton, but for anything from hoppy American styles to Belgians and barrel aged stuff ranging from IPAs to dark Belgians/stouts KANE has no equal.
Another year will show this.

Agree with above... Kane is making some excellent beers. Awesome place to visit if you are in that area. Not knocking Carton, I love me some Boat! Just think Kane has the edge at the moment...

I'm from Alabama and have to argue our winner. Back Forty makes some great beer, but Good People and Avondale are my picks for the "best".

I agree with you on that one.

I would have to agree that Southern Prohibition takes the cake. All of our breweries make solid beer, but SP is consistent.

I definitely agree, Maui Brewing Co brews the best in the state (CoCoNut PorTer also tops my list). Kona Brewery does brew here and sells their kegged beer in the islands (most of which is pretty good), but I believe all their bottled beer is brewed in the mainland.

Victory has some good standards, but I think Tired Hands is making the best beer around right now, at least in eastern PA

Agree 100%. Most well known, and that is arguable, does not necessarily equal best. IMO Fairhope down in my neck of the woods along with the two you mention make better beer than Back Forty, who are still pretty good.

It would be nice if the article provided some information on how the decisions were made and who made them.

While we have a LOT of great breweries here in California, I will have to agree with their choice.

It says 3 Floyds for Indiana, I have to disagree.
Judging from the liquor store many also do to. Gumball head and zombie dust regular gather dust and end up on discount. I believe its become more hype for the company than anything.
Sunking, Upland, Chapman's are far better products.

Naming Breakside Brewing Oregon's best is a surprising choice that I disagree with. I would have nominated Crux Fermentation Project (these guys put out unusual, fantastic beers of many styles) or Barley Browns (their Pallet Jack is hands down the best IPA produced in Oregon IMO).

Yeah I disagree with Breakside as well. One of my least favorite Portland brews. Crux might be my choice too, although it's tough to say.

Half-Acre for Illinois is interesting, with no mention of Spiteful Brewing at all. I went to the Chicago Craft beer fest this summer, and Half-Acre, Revolution, and Spiteful all turned out. I had Half-Acre and Spiteful there for the first time (I regularly purchase Revolution). As much as I love Revolution, Spiteful blew everyone out of the water. Not only was their beer "Selfies Suck" the best beer at the event, but the guys working the stand were awesome. I spent at least a half hour (maybe an hour) talking to them, and they rocked.

If you're reading this, and you worked the Spiteful stand, yeah. I'm that guy.

I definitely agree, Maui Brewing Co brews the best in the state (CoCoNut PorTer also tops my list). Kona Brewery does brew here and sells their kegged beer in the islands (most of which is pretty good), but I believe all their bottled beer is brewed in the mainland.

Some (if not all) of their stateside product is brewed at the Widmer Bros brewery in Portland, Oregon.

I would say that in VA, Brother's Brewing makes better beer than Hardywood, but they aren't as widely distributed.

From my year in Alaska, I agree that Midnight Sun is on top.

Glad to see Hoppin Frog on there for Ohio. So glad I live right down the road from there.

Half-Acre for Illinois is interesting, with no mention of Spiteful Brewing at all. I went to the Chicago Craft beer fest this summer, and Half-Acre, Revolution, and Spiteful all turned out. I had Half-Acre and Spiteful there for the first time (I regularly purchase Revolution). As much as I love Revolution, Spiteful blew everyone out of the water. Not only was their beer "Selfies Suck" the best beer at the event, but the guys working the stand were awesome. I spent at least a half hour (maybe an hour) talking to them, and they rocked.

If you're reading this, and you worked the Spiteful stand, yeah. I'm that guy.

There are quite a few excellent Chicago breweries and I agree that Spiteful is one of the best. But, as a list such as this is entirely subjective, it just comes down to personal experience and tastes. I certainly wouldn't argue against Half Acre being ranked as the best Illinois brewery. The beer is great, they keep it local, and insist on staffing all events where their beer is being served with their own awesome people.

Just my 2 Illinoisian cents.

I like Lazy Magnolia. I'll be in your state later this month (maybe next), I'll look for Boulevard.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but Lazy Magnolia is out of Kiln, Mississippi. I am pretty sure because I've toured the brewery.

Frankly I also like them better than the Mississippi brewery on the list out of Hattiesburg.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but Lazy Magnolia is out of Kiln, Mississippi. I am pretty sure because I've toured the brewery.

Frankly I also like them better than the Mississippi brewery on the list out of Hattiesburg.

Oh crud. I got mixed up. Thanks. I drank a few of those at a Blue Canoe. Cool place in MS. I can't even remember where I was, travelling for biz.

New glarus, and leinenkugle's, leinenkugle's "shady" beers gotta go but they have a couple craft beers that are great! "Sunset wheat, and there " snowdrift Porter" everything is good buy new glarus. There's a ton of good craft beers here!

Oh crud. I got mixed up. Thanks. I drank a few of those at a Blue Canoe. Cool place in MS. I can't even remember where I was, travelling for biz.

You were in the birth place of Elvis, you may of passed right through my town to get there.

Lazy Magnolia was an excellent brewery before they started distributing outside of MS. Since then it seems as the quality has gone down.

You were in the birth place of Elvis, you may of passed right through my town to get there.

Lazy Magnolia was an excellent brewery before they started distributing outside of MS. Since then it seems as the quality has gone down.

That's right, I was staying in Tupelo but working in a little town north of there called Baldwyn. It's a speck on the map.

Other Half for New York? Really, really wrong.

I have had a few clunkers from them and now simply avoid their beers when I see them on tap at my local Manhattan and Brooklyn taprooms. This is a total Williamsburg hipster selection that appears to ignore the dominating and consistent quality of Southern Tier. Southern Tier, obvious pick for New York.

Last edited:
Back