Northern Brewer Grapefruit Sculpin clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly2378

Reaction score
I just saw this via email. They call it "Grapefruit Pulpin". Clever. Regardless, I can't get Ballast Point in SoDak and I love Grapefruit Sculpin, so I'm intrigued. For anyone who has done a clone, does NB's version look somewhat close?

- 13 lbs Rahr 2-row
- 0.5 lbs Dingemans Cara 20
- 0.25 lbs Briess Caramel 20

- 0.5 oz Chinook (60 min)
- 0.5 oz Cascade (20 min)
- 0.5 oz Chinook (20 min)
- 0.5 oz Cascade (5 min)
- 0.5 oz Chinook (5 min)
- 1 oz Amarillo (0 min)
- 0.5 oz Chinook (0 min)

DRY HOPS
- 1 oz Cascade (dry hop)
- 1 oz Simcoe (dry hop)
- 2 oz Grapefruit peel (dry hop)(soaked in 2 oz vodka and added 5-7 days before bottling)

YEAST
WLP001/Wyeast 1056/Safale US-05

Im pretty sure they use grapefruit juice or a flavor extract to get that potent grapefruit character. There is no way a mere 2 oz of just the peel could do accomplish anything close to that

I was concerned about the relatively low IBU figure from that hops schedule, but I duped it anyway. I like the result a lot, and it tastes similar to my memory of the original. I have a bottle of the original here but haven't done a side by side yet.

The NB grapefruit pulpin will arrive soon. I hope it's similar to the grapefruit sculpin, ill let ya know once all is done and ready

My dupe of that recipe provided a pleasurable result. Comparing side by side today with the real G'fruit sculpin, the grapefruit flavor is a little soft. When I brew it again (and it is good enough that I will), I'll up the grapefruit peel to 4oz in secondary.

My dupe of that recipe provided a pleasurable result. Comparing side by side today with the real G'fruit sculpin, the grapefruit flavor is a little soft. When I brew it again (and it is good enough that I will), I'll up the grapefruit peel to 4oz in secondary.

I think I'll try this recipe and take your suggestion. I assume that you grated the grapefruit peel before soaking it in vodka?

How does it taste without any of the grapefruit peel I have to wonder.

If you guys want a grapefruit IPA check out my one recipe that I published. Very grapefruity.

I think I'll try this recipe and take your suggestion. I assume that you grated the grapefruit peel before soaking it in vodka?

As it matures, the grapefruit flavor has sharpened. I believe I'll stick with 2 oz for the next batch. That will be soon, as the keg just kicked last night so I'm out. I used grated peel but didn't soak in anything before adding to the fermenter. I do additions after primary fermentation is complete, by which time I figure there is already alcohol in there to sanitize the additions.

As it matures, the grapefruit flavor has sharpened. I believe I'll stick with 2 oz for the next batch. That will be soon, as the keg just kicked last night so I'm out. I used grated peel but didn't soak in anything before adding to the fermenter. I do additions after primary fermentation is complete, by which time I figure there is already alcohol in there to sanitize the additions.

So the 2oz did ok? Cus I have all the ingredients and I'm going to brew this very soon and I was going to increase the grapefruit to 4 oz because of your earlier post.

After several weeks, it attained the taste I had wanted. I'll use 2 oz again for my next batch. Don't worry if you taste the bitter part of the peel at first; that faded after a week. Just leave the beer in the keg for a few weeks and let that fade while the brighter peel taste settles in.

I'm brewing this right now. Debating on adding the vodka in with the peels when the time comes. Any thoughts on that?

vodka is flavor neutral and 1 oz or so wouldn't make a detectable difference, although it's not too difficult to just decant off most of the vodka and then dump the peels in the fermenter.
here's another link on grapefruit IPAs...seems like CGVT had success with a pils/mosaic SMaSH...it's on my list to brew since it's so simple.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=556510

After several weeks, it attained the taste I had wanted. I'll use 2 oz again for my next batch. Don't worry if you taste the bitter part of the peel at first; that faded after a week. Just leave the beer in the keg for a few weeks and let that fade while the brighter peel taste settles in.

A taste comparable to ballast point? Or would 3oz be better? I don't want to over-do it but I want it to be like the Grapefruit sculpin. I also don't mind waiting for it to condition to get the flavor right

Also. Was it 2oz by weight, or 2oz by volume?

A taste comparable to ballast point? Or would 3oz be better? I don't want to over-do it but I want it to be like the Grapefruit sculpin. I also don't mind waiting for it to condition to get the flavor right

Also. Was it 2oz by weight, or 2oz by volume?

Two ounces by weight is what I used, and in the end it was pretty close to the original. I agree that if the peel is soaked in vodka and the vodka is discarded, some of the flavor will be lost. On the other hand, if the peel is just added to the fermenter all the extracted flavor will go into the beer, where you want it. I didn't fuss with vodka; I never do.

Use the regular sculpin clone recipe and add grapefruit zest to a hopback. Ounce per gallon on the zest. Have it on good word that's how it's being done.

Use the regular sculpin clone recipe and add grapefruit zest to a hopback. Ounce per gallon on the zest. Have it on good word that's how it's being done.

That's a lot of zest. Makes sense with the flavor though.

And yeah I'd just use the regular Sculpin clone. This doesn't look that close to the Sculpin recipe to be perfectly honest.

Other option: just use your favorite IPA recipe and add grapefruit zest if that's what you're really after.

Brewed this yesterday.

For those who have already done this,
The NB kit came with a 2oz bag of grapefruit zest. Instructions are to soak in vodka for 2 days before dry hopping. I drank a grapefruit sculpin as I brewed and I was thinking that I wouldn't mind a slightly more grapefruit/citrus flavor. Would adding an additional ounce of fresh grapefruit zest do this? I don't want to go overboard but I want the grapefruit to be a little More noticeable.

Brewed this yesterday.

For those who have already done this,
The NB kit came with a 2oz bag of grapefruit zest. Instructions are to soak in vodka for 2 days before dry hopping. I drank a grapefruit sculpin as I brewed and I was thinking that I wouldn't mind a slightly more grapefruit/citrus flavor. Would adding an additional ounce of fresh grapefruit zest do this? I don't want to go overboard but I want the grapefruit to be a little More noticeable.
Zest or peel? 2 oz of zest is going to give a greater grapefruit character than the straight peel I think.
From?

Has anyone tried the finished product yet? I am thinking about using the all grain recipe but by the looks of it in the software it is 63% efficiency with that grain bill. Plugged it into beersmith with my efficiency and it is giving a much different ratio of the caramel malts.

This guy.

He follows this with saying the grapefruit flavor became stronger and he was happy with it

I sampled this today and even though it is still under carbed it was really good. I went with 1.5 oz of simcoe and cascade as that is what I had and pitched in the zest and vodka (2 oz of zest, about 4 oz of vodka). It has a beautiful color and the grapefruit aroma hits you right in the nose. The taste is great and I will definitely brew this again.

blogger-image-700222817.jpg

The NB kit comes with dry grapefruit peel, it was suggested to me to replace this with fresh grapefruit zest and soak in vodka, by my LHBS

Has anyone tried the finished product yet? I am thinking about using the all grain recipe but by the looks of it in the software it is 63% efficiency with that grain bill. Plugged it into beersmith with my efficiency and it is giving a much different ratio of the caramel malts.

Just brewed this AG recipe last night. Got a 63% efficiency, which was kind of disappointing. Though this is my first 5 gallon batch with new equipment, so hopefully it will get better.

Just brewed this AG recipe last night. Got a 63% efficiency, which was kind of disappointing. Though this is my first 5 gallon batch with new equipment, so hopefully it will get better.

So to confirm my thoughts and Beersith calculations, what was your OG? 1.065 as the recipe calls for?

So to confirm my thoughts and Beersith calculations, what was your OG? 1.065 as the recipe calls for?

Actually, your post made me recheck my Beersmith inputs. I had too much of the Cara in there, so my efficiency actually came out to 65%, but yes, the measured OG was 1.065

Can the Melanoidin be eliminated or is it really necessary? I'll have to order a pound and most of it will go to waste as I'll probably never use it again.

What is the right amount of grapefruit for a 5 gallon batch? White pith, outer peal, or a combination of both?

The guy I go to at my LHBS told me to use just the zest of one grapefruit. He said it should be a little more than 2 oz, but to use the zest only, the orange outer part. He said not to get down to the white.

I was concerned about the relatively low IBU figure from that hops schedule, but I duped it anyway. I like the result a lot, and it tastes similar to my memory of the original. I have a bottle of the original here but haven't done a side by side yet.

I just noticed that Beersmith was calculating the IBU at around 45, when the original is around 70. Does this seem right? I just racked to secondary and tried the hydrometer sample and it didn't seem very bitter.

I just noticed that Beersmith was calculating the IBU at around 45, when the original is around 70. Does this seem right? I just racked to secondary and tried the hydrometer sample and it didn't seem very bitter.

It comes out tasting great (to me). I'm guessing the grapefruit peel (added later) gets the bitterness where it belongs.

Back