Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > California Common (Anchor Steam Clone) Extract and AG

Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #201
lhd7osc
Frydaddy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My OG was 1.045 and I've had it in my conical for about two weeks. I pitched a 1,600 Litter starter and right now, I have a stuck fermentation (not sure why) at 1.025 for the past four days.

Here's my question: should I repitch the same WLP 810 (San Francisco) yeast or will it be okay to use just a generic powder yeast (ale)? Since in theory the 810 yeast is a lager hybrid.

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"

Old 11-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #202
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5937 Times on 4232 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhd7osc View Post
My OG was 1.045 and I've had it in my conical for about two weeks. I pitched a 1,600 Litter starter and right now, I have a stuck fermentation (not sure why) at 1.025 for the past four days.

Here's my question: should I repitch the same WLP 810 (San Francisco) yeast or will it be okay to use just a generic powder yeast (ale)? Since in theory the 810 yeast is a lager hybrid.
Wow- it's so unusual to have a stuck fermentation with that yeast. Are you 100% sure that it's 1.025? You doubled checked your hydrometer, and didn't use a refractometer? It's very weird.

I would probably just pitch ale yeast at this point, something that is neutral and can ferment cool.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #203
lhd7osc
Frydaddy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Wow- it's so unusual to have a stuck fermentation with that yeast. Are you 100% sure that it's 1.025? You doubled checked your hydrometer, and didn't use a refractometer? It's very weird.

I would probably just pitch ale yeast at this point, something that is neutral and can ferment cool.
Ha ha....OOOO....SNAP! I am using a refractometer which = 1.005!!!

Okay, now for dacteyl rest. You ROCK

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"

Old 01-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #204
antwort
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Hi All, I have a two-part question about this recipe;

First, I am looking for this to be my first brew. Is this a good one for a first timer? I do have a degree in mechanical engineering and plenty of experience in lab setting so I am comfortable with the sanitizing, glassware, cooking, measuring etc. But, it is my first time so I'm sure I don't know what I don't know if you know what I mean ... if this isn't a good first time brew using extract recipe kit from my local HB supply store please let me know what you think would be. I'm going for a "neutral beer" in order to woo my not-as-excited-as-I-am fiancee over that me brewing beer is a great idea! So this or a Corona or something 'relatively bland' would be something she would also be able to enjoy and I can start working on my APA clones next for me and the guys.

Secondly, I have a storage room that I have observed to be at or just below 60*F for a variety of times across the day and night for the past week. The recipe is calling for 55*F fermenting temperatures, would the +5*F affect the brew significantly? If so I think I can wrap the carboy in wet towels to get evaporative cooling effect, possibly using a fan if required; my question then becomes is there such a thing as 'too low' for this recipe and can I cause just as much damage that way? I don't expect the wet bulb to be below 45 and depending on how effective of a towel swamp cooler I make I doubt I could approach that.. but who knows I like effective heat exchangers

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Old 01-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #205
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5937 Times on 4232 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

The temperature sounds fine for this beer. I'm not sure how "hard" this would be to do as a first brew, but I think it's pretty straightforward and easy to follow.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
antwort Likes This 
Old 01-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #206
antwort
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Brew is going well today so far, thanks for keeping this thread active! I went through everything to date last night when I woke up at 2 am and couldn't go back to sleep in anticipation!

OK it's in the primary let's hope I didn't do anything un-sanitary... wort tastes good, sweet and a little bitter kind of like honey in tea? looks and smells caramelly.

Last edited by antwort; 01-04-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: added

Old 01-07-2014, 02:59 AM   #207
Flipadelphia
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I ended up hitting 1.060 on my version of cali common. I added a couple bottles of water to hopefully drop it down to 1.059. Will this be too strong for the style?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #208
tommyguner03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 93

i just brewed this up yesterday and i missed my target by 10 points .. lucky enough i had some dme around to get those 10 points back.. thanks for the reciepe

Old 01-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #209
tommyguner03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 93

did i screw up? i swear that after only three days i had hit 75%. and pulled out for d rest.. now should i of waited an extra day? 3 days seems to short? right?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #210
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My 3rd batch of this is cooling down right now. Added an extra half oz at flame out just because I had the hops and wasnt sure what else to do with them. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe Yooper!