California Common California Common (Anchor Steam Clone) Extract and AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
San Francisco Lager
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 at 55 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 55 degrees
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Anchor Steam Clone
Brewer: Lorena
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma HHops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs San Francisco Lager (White Labs #WLP810) [Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.75 qt of water at 170.1 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.70 qt of water at 198.5 F 168.0 F

For Extract/Steeping Grains
For a 2.5 gallon boil:
Change pale malt to 6 pounds light DME

1.75 oz NB hops at 60.
.75 oz NB hops at 30
.50 oz NB hops at flame-out.

View attachment ASClone.txt

View attachment ASclone.bsm

This beer is good- but last night I tasted it head to head with Anchor Steam. One of my impressions is that the commercial version has more late addition hops. Maybe some dry hopping would help it come closer. I think NB hops tend to be harsh in later additions, though, so I'll keep my "clone" as is. My husband and I both prefer my version over the Anchor Steam due to the smoothness I have in mine.

YooperBrew said:
This beer is good- but last night I tasted it head to head with Anchor Steam. One of my impressions is that the commercial version has more late addition hops. Maybe some dry hopping would help it come closer. I think NB hops tend to be harsh in later additions, though, so I'll keep my "clone" as is. My husband and I both prefer my version over the Anchor Steam due to the smoothness I have in mine.

That smoothness sounds preferrable to me too, Yoop. I'll stick this one on the docket to brew.

Well I'm a dork and forgot to add the hops at flame out. I think I'll dry hop in the secondary to compensate but I don't want to use Northern Brewer. I've got some cascade but I don't know if that would be right eather. Any ideas?

RichBrewer said:
Well I'm a dork and forgot to add the hops at flame out. I think I'll dry hop in the secondary to compensate but I don't want to use Northern Brewer. I've got some cascade but I don't know if that would be right eather. Any ideas?

Well, I'm a fairly rigid person ;), so I would stick closer to the style guidelines on this one. Actually, I love cascades, but I seem to use them in everything because I'm into that slight grapefruit zest. How about something not citrusy in this one. Maybe like saaz. Or the NB, but in a very small amount at first until you see if it's what you're looking for.

I'm not great with hops, though, so better ask someone who can really give you an idea of what a good aroma/dry hop would be for this recipe.

YooperBrew said:
Well, I'm a fairly rigid person ;).
I've heard from a very reliable source (SEWAGE) that this is indeed a fact! :mug:

YooperBrew said:
, so I would stick closer to the style guidelines on this one. Actually, I love cascades, but I seem to use them in everything because I'm into that slight grapefruit zest. How about something not citrusy in this one. Maybe like saaz. Or the NB, but in a very small amount at first until you see if it's what you're looking for.

I'm not great with hops, though, so better ask someone who can really give you an idea of what a good aroma/dry hop would be for this recipe.
I've got some NB hops. maybe just a touch like a 1/2 ounce? I'm not great with hops either!

I'm thinking about brewing this again on Sunday but I want to try MO as the base malt. I can dump it on the cake from the first batch. ProMash says it will raise the color to 10.1 and it might add a gravity point. I'm not interested in matching the style. I am just thinking about playing. I might even add hops at flame out this time!:ban:

I thought I had posted this (and if I have, and it turns up, sorry!) but this won second place in the Titletown homebrew contest in Green Bay, WI. They must have combined categories, though, because the first place winner was American Lite Lager (category 1A I believe) and I entered as 7B (amber hybrid). I don't know my score yet, so I'll post that when I know.

That's literally the same recipe of the BYO magazine

It is? Hops too? Strange. It is pretty generic, but I thought the hops out before just putting them in there. I think that more later hops will be better, but haven't tried it yet.

One thing that I might change is after listening to Jamil's podcast on steam beer, he said something like "it's all about the toasty". So, in the next batch I toasted about 2 pounds of the malt in the oven. I didn't update the recipe, though, because I didn't really notice it. Maybe some victory malt would make the difference.

Let's see- I have the tasting notes from the contest here. It was score a 33, with being gigged on "very light hop aroma initially, followed by a nice toasty character and light caramel that quickly fades." "Primary flavor is peppery hops, malty character present but dominated by hops. Low hop bitterness". "Add some special roast and/or 60L caramel" "Increase your aroma hop charge, or dryhop in secondary" "Slightly increase your bittering hops" "Foundation for a great beer is here- it will take only a little tweaking to make an excellent beer". One judge said it seemed underattenuated, another judge said to raise the mash temp to get more dextrins from the malt, so I figure it cancelled each other otu.

I just need to go get some NB hops from the LHBS today and I'm ready to brew this. I love Anchor's beers. I have never done a lager before, so I am hoping to ease in with this brew. I'm going to try to ferment this in my garage in a 1/4bbl sanke, and hopefully it doesn't get too warm! If it goes above 60, am I going to have weird flavors?

I'm going to use Wyeast 2112 which says "Temperature Range: 58-68° F (14-20° C)"

Is this the same as the White Labs?

I just need to go get some NB hops from the LHBS today and I'm ready to brew this. I love Anchor's beers. I have never done a lager before, so I am hoping to ease in with this brew. I'm going to try to do this in my garage, and hopefully it doesn't get too warm! If it goes above 60, am I going to have weird flavors?

No, it's a steam beer so 60 is fine. Even a bit warmer is ok, but I like it fermented cooler and then lagered for a bit.

I have my copy of this in the refrigerator right now. I'll probably keg it this weekend. Had some issue when brewing this due to a clogged diptube, but it looks like my hands were sanitized well enough. The hydro sample last week was awesome.

No, it's a steam beer so 60 is fine. Even a bit warmer is ok, but I like it fermented cooler and then lagered for a bit.

How many batches of this have you made? Have you figured out anything for the dry hopping, or is it just best left as-is? I have a ton of random hops right now and would be willing to try something if you had a suggestion.

How many batches of this have you made? Have you figured out anything for the dry hopping, or is it just best left as-is? I have a ton of random hops right now and would be willing to try something if you had a suggestion.

I've made it a number of times. I did like it dry hopped, but I'm a hophead, so that's to be expected! I actually liked the original best until I got the judges score sheets asking for more hops, so I did increase them slightly in one batch, bringing the IBUs to about 35/40. I toasted some two-row for one batch, but didn't really get any toasty notes from it.

I still think I prefer the original, though!

I've made it a number of times. I did like it dry hopped, but I'm a hophead, so that's to be expected! I actually liked the original best until I got the judges score sheets asking for more hops, so I did increase them slightly in one batch, bringing the IBUs to about 35/40. I toasted some two-row for one batch, but didn't really get any toasty notes from it.

I still think I prefer the original, though!

Ok I'm going to do the original. I just went to lhbs to get the nb hops and ended up spending $75 on a new scale and a bunch of other random stuff. Oh well, at the pub now enjoying a tasty local flanders red.

Just transferred this from the primary to a keg. Should I leave it at 58-60 or should I toss it in my 37 degree fridge? gravity is down to 1.016. Tasted really good!

By the way, did you choose Northern Brewer hops for the recipe because you read or heard somewhere that Anchor uses them? I am just curious because I can't find anything online, and other recipes I saw have used Willamette and Cascade.

I was going to keg this a few days ago, but still had floaties. Dropped some gelatin in and I should be good to go for kegging tonight.

By the way, did you choose Northern Brewer hops for the recipe because you read or heard somewhere that Anchor uses them? I am just curious because I can't find anything online, and other recipes I saw have used Willamette and Cascade.

Yes, I read in Jamil's "Brewing Classic Styles" that the authenic steam beer is all NB hops, as is his recipe. He says "this style showcases the distinctive northern brewer hop's woodsiness".

I really like it, but I've never had it any other way so I can't compare it to other recipes.

Yes, I read in Jamil's "Brewing Classic Styles" that the authenic steam beer is all NB hops, as is his recipe. He says "this style showcases the distinctive northern brewer hop's woodsiness".

I really like it, but I've never had it any other way so I can't compare it to other recipes.

Do you have an opinion on my other question re: putting it in the fridge? I am pretty new to kegging and this is my first lager beer so I am a bit unsure.

Do you have an opinion on my other question re: putting it in the fridge? I am pretty new to kegging and this is my first lager beer so I am a bit unsure.

I like this beer to be fermented at low ale temps, until completely done. I've experienced a little diacetyl with this strain in the past, so I keep it on the yeast cake as long as a month or so. But after racking, I do lager it. I kept it in the 40s (basement temp) for a while, then stuck it in the kegerator at 39 degrees. It cleared up beautifully and got some of the lager characteristics I wanted, but kept the ale "nose" if that makes sense.

If yours is done and in the keg, you can lager it now if you want.

Lay off the fiber for a few days...

Sorry...had to. :D

Yoop, feel free to slice me off...you know...from one Mod to another. I won't mind.

LOL! BM, you're fine. :mug:

Yum. This beer is great. When I first tasted it, I was nervous that it didn't taste anything like a real anchor steam - and then I had an anchor to jog my memory. It is pretty damn close, but I haven't done a side-by-side yet. My only issues thus far have been crazy foaming, but that might be because I force carbed it with the shaking (a week ago or so...). It still pours crazy foamy, but I am a draft newbie so who knows. Anyway, this beer rocks. Some are calling it my best beer yet (and so bloody simple!). I made it with organic ingredients (except hops).

Anyway, thanks Yooper! Next up, I'm going to try this California Lager yeast with a Mac & Jack recipe.

I am going to do a Ca Common soon. I have tons of hops, but no No. Brewer. My buddy uses all Chinook in his Ca. Common and actually won a gold at a competition with it!

Personally, I am thinking of using Willamette or Zeus in mine just to see the outcome? Anyone have a good reason why I should not do this? I am not concerned with fitting the BJCP style, just want a nice amber lager.

WOOT - found this recipe just in time - my yeast arrived yesterday. so I'll be making my starter tonight and brewing this weekend.

Yum. This beer is great. When I first tasted it, I was nervous that it didn't taste anything like a real anchor steam - and then I had an anchor to jog my memory. It is pretty damn close, but I haven't done a side-by-side yet. My only issues thus far have been crazy foaming, but that might be because I force carbed it with the shaking (a week ago or so...). It still pours crazy foamy, but I am a draft newbie so who knows. Anyway, this beer rocks. Some are calling it my best beer yet (and so bloody simple!). I made it with organic ingredients (except hops).

Anyway, thanks Yooper! Next up, I'm going to try this California Lager yeast with a Mac & Jack recipe.

Pico - its possible you overcarbed your beer. I have done that on occasion with the shake method.

I'm going to need to brew this again this weekend. I have all the ingredients on hand so how can I not? Thanks again for this recipe yooper. This will be the first brew with my new barley crusher!

Finally brewed this again. Such a nice day and I brewed outside in my shared condo driveway while lots of pedestrians and the streetcar were flying by. Everything went smoothly and quickly and I can't wait to tap this keg! Out of all the beers I have made, this has been the crowd favorite so far.

Finally brewed this again. Such a nice day and I brewed outside in my shared condo driveway while lots of pedestrians and the streetcar flying by. Everything went smooth and quickly and I can't wait to tap this keg! Out of all the beers I have made, this has been the crowd favorite so far.

We like it too! Enough flavor to please us craft beer lovers, and yet "lager ish" enough to please the newcomers to homebrew and craft beers. I need to get some northern brewer hops, and brew it again myself!

I forgot to mention, I ended up mashing for TWO AND A HALF HOURS due to several external factors. I don't know if this is off the charts or what, but I ended up with 83% efficiency (predicting 75%), so the beer is a bit over at 1.055.

Just thought I'd share a shot of mine (in an HBT glass of course!).

CaliCommon.jpg

Didn't see the details listed on this subject.... What were your fermentation temperatures and schedule? I'm considering a steam beer and was wondering what temps you targeted?

I don't have many people around to sample my beer, but everyone who has been around lately has loved it.

This is the beer I made where my kettle spigot got clogged, I had to pour through a funnel and mesh bag from a keggle, lost about a gallon of wort and had my hands all over inside of it after it was chilled. So...... It will probably never be this good again. :)

More notes on my latest batch of this:

I brewed w/ 12oz of Caramel 120L instead of 1lb of caramel 60.

Beer is quite dark and very caramelly. I like it a lot this way, but don't have any of the old stuff to compare to. I think the way I brew it (and ferment it, a bit warm) it ends up sweeter and more caramel than a proper "Anchor Steam", with less carbonic bite and bitterness. I prefer the homebrew version and all my friends and family seem to love this beer. Given a choice between this recipe and an EdWort Haus pale ale (derivative..) it is a no brainer for them.

Back