Raising and Marketing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixmoons

Reaction score
I joined this Forum because I have Hops growing on my property, and I want to know if caring for them and marketing them is a worth while activity. These hops have been growing by themselves for over 60 years. They appeared when we discontinued a pasture on an old time farmstead. As the land returned to natural vegetation, the hops appeared. Right now the hops are covering small trees and brush. The brines are full of cones that appear to be ripe. A friend told me they smell like the cascade variety. Anyone care to comment ? Many thanks, Sixmoons

Take a look through some of the threads in this hops growing subforum and you'll find some professional hop farmers who can give you a sense of the business, perhaps. You would have to know the exact variety of hop, of course, just as you would for any crop.

Cascade hops were released from OSU in 1971 so they're probably not them. Earlier varieties that were probably around during that time would have been European noble or a Cluster variety. Another possibility is that they could be wild. Hiring a taxonomist is the only sure way to find out. Are there any males present or are any of the cones seeded?

It depends...

We've looked at a number of wild plants that either we have found or have been brought to us. Most are crap...it seems as they go feral they tend to loose the really strong flavors brewers look for. But this isn't always the case. Sometime its because the sample was picked too early or too late, it had been seeded or something else in the environment changed it. Usually, its best to propagate a few in a proper setting to determine if its any good.

If it is good, then things may be different. If you can get it to grow, it can be mechanically harvested and some brewer decides to buy it...then you could make some money. If it becomes the next hot hop, you are a bazillionaire. Obviously, the chances are slim but what does it hurt to try?

Back