Yeast arrived warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrup85

Reaction score
Ordered Wyeast 1187 from a mail order and it took longer than expected to get here. Quite frankly, it was a bit warm when I opened the package even though there had been an ice pack in there. I made a starter for it to see if I might get some growth out of one or two thousand stragglers which I could pitch to another starter, but I haven’t seen any indication of fermentation in 24 hours.

Should I just dump it and use Safale 05 as a replacement? I won’t be able to get a replacement Wyeast pack before I plan to brew next weekend.

yeast are hardier than most give them credit for. I would be surprised if your starter doesn't do the trick

dont necessarily expect to see visual fermentation in a starter either

yeah just make sure to do a starter. Dont direct pitch a package thats been subject to that handling. If you wont be brewing for a while, just make a small starter to get good healthy yeast, decant, and save it all

If your starter is on a stirplate, turn it off and visually see if you think the yeast has multiplied much, if any. I've done mailordered, warm yeast and it ruined a batch or three. Build up your starter to make sure you have a decent amount of yeast, decant and pitch.

I'm not sure how the yeast could be growing without signs of fermentation. There really isn't much foam when I swirl it and what foam there is dies down quick. No bright yeast cake either, but there is a dark ring at the bottom.

How long does your typical starter take? Should I try decanting and pitching this first first starter to a second?

I've had some starters that show no signs, and others fill the flask with foam, they're all different. How long has the yeast been going? I would decant a taste to see if it tastes more like wort or beer, and decide from there.

Its not on a stir plate. I tasted a little and it has sweet wort taste, with hints of yeast. I am hopeful and think I'll wait another day or so before I decide to dump it.

Back