Good recipe for Chinook hops????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
Hello HB'ers,
I have about 6oz of Chinook hops and I'm looking for a good recipe to use them in. Any suggestions??

:pipe:

I like chinook in black IPAs its piney and graopefruit pairs well with the slight amount of roast IMO

An Arrogant Bastard clone! Super easy grain bill- 13 pounds pale malt, 1.5 pounds 120L. Hop with 1 oz 90 minutes, 30 minutes, 5 minutes, and flame out. Dryhop if you want.

I did this in two versions a while back- half bottled, then half oaked in a 3 gallon carboy before bottling. The oaked version was awesome, but took 6 months to really come around. The unoaked version was drinkable in just a few weeks, and I loved it as well.

An Arrogant Bastard clone! Super easy grain bill- 13 pounds pale malt, 1.5 pounds 120L. Hop with 1 oz 90 minutes, 30 minutes, 5 minutes, and flame out. Dryhop if you want.

I did this in two versions a while back- half bottled, then half oaked in a 3 gallon carboy before bottling. The oaked version was awesome, but took 6 months to really come around. The unoaked version was drinkable in just a few weeks, and I loved it as well.

hmmmm.... That might not be a bad idea!

frt closed.jpg

:D

This is the first thing I thought of. I know there is another recipe out there for AB, but this is the one I use and I like it. Just made a Bastard's bastard two weeks ago. Was brewing with my daughter and we had the grain milled before I realized I only had one ounce of Chinook :eek:! So I used some Columbus and Centennial with the Chinook at FO.

YES - I have made an AB clone with a ton of Chinook and it came out fantastic. Makes me think I need to make it again.

Arrogant Bastard and Black IPA (maybe paired with Simcoe) are the two that jump out in my mind as well.

Arrogant Bastard is what first came to mind for me too.

I also like the combo of chinook and centennial in a Rye IPA... very tastey.

I make an APA with chinook, columbus and cascade. Chinook for half the IBUs at 60min, columbus at 20min for a quarter of the IBU, then equal parts chinook and cascade at 5min and 0min for the rest. Dry hop with 50/50 chinook and cascade.

Made an American Wheat with chinook and summit that came out nice too.

Just go back from my LHBS with a 14.5 lbs sack of 2-row & 120L...

Besides the Chinook, I also have a little more than an oz of Centennial which I think will be my finishing hop addition.

Thanks Yooper & ALL!!

:mug:

Ok Yooper. I already have your Haus PA fermenting in my chamber. It's been in there for 1 week at 62 deg.

I just put the AB clone in the fermenter and will be pitching WLP001 which likes 68-73 deg.

You think your Haus PA will be ok if I raise ferment temp to 68? Or should I compromise between the two and target 65??

BTW, I used US05 for the Hause PA...

Last edited:
I have to say, I'm pretty jazzed about this version of AB clone. The hydro sample tasted awesome. A little bite with a little spice.

In addition to a couple oz of Chinook, I used up a little Crystal & Centennial:
90min - 1oz Chinook
30min - 1oz Chinook
5min - .25oz Chinook, .25oz Centennial, .5oz Crystal
0min - 1oz Centennial

Haven't decided whether it needs dry hopping or not? I may let it ride until after it's kegged. I can always dry hop in the keg!?

Thoughts??

Chinook pairs really well with Amarillo & Simcoe.

I actually have a little of all three left. Maybe an IPA is in the cards after I empty one of my fermenters! :D

jbb3 - dry-hop that thing for all it's worth!

You think!?!? Well maybe I will... How does Chinook do for dry hopping? That's what I have the most of.

Back