Cacao Nibs in Secondary, Your technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanuswalrus

Reaction score
So I've been looking into this for a while now and can't seem to find any recent posts on this subject. I have an imperial stout (1.094 OG) that's been in primary for almost 2 weeks now and I plan to rack it onto vanilla bean, cacao nibs and bourbon soaked oak cubes after it's been in primary for another couple weeks. Thinking to bulk age it on all of this stuff for 2-3 months. I've read that soaking the nibs in vodka is suggested, but I've also read some others say you should crush the nibs, and then roast them in the oven for about a half hour around 300-350 degrees.

The biggest reason I ask is because the one time I used nibs, it was a soapy disaster that completely ruined the beer. The method I used was I soaked the nibs in bourbon for ~1 week and then added them to secondary, racked the beer on top. I REALLY don't want this beer to turn out the same way.

Who has a tried and true method of adding nibs to secondary that they're willing to share!?!?

So I've been looking into this for a while now and can't seem to find any recent posts on this subject. I have an imperial stout (1.094 OG) that's been in primary for almost 2 weeks now and I plan to rack it onto vanilla bean, cacao nibs and bourbon soaked oak cubes after it's been in primary for another couple weeks. Thinking to bulk age it on all of this stuff for 2-3 months. I've read that soaking the nibs in vodka is suggested, but I've also read some others say you should crush the nibs, and then roast them in the oven for about a half hour around 300-350 degrees.

The biggest reason I ask is because the one time I used nibs, it was a soapy disaster that completely ruined the beer. The method I used was I soaked the nibs in bourbon for ~1 week and then added them to secondary, racked the beer on top. I REALLY don't want this beer to turn out the same way.

Who has a tried and true method of adding nibs to secondary that they're willing to share!?!?

Funny you should ask... I recently ordered and received (2) 4oz bags of Olive & Sinclair cacao nib to repeat a Moo Hoo stout clone I brewed back during Christmas time. I've only used nibs once and it was for that batch.

The method I used was;
  1. Open two 4 oz bags of nibs
  2. Pour bags of nibs into hop sack
  3. Tie hop sack and drop into secondary
;)

Turned out fantastic. But I only let it soak for 7-8 days.

:mug:

I'm interested in the replies to this as well. I brewed up an chocolate milk stout extract kit, I soaked nibs in vodka for 2 weeks and added them after 2 weeks in the fermenter and I'm disappointed with the lack of chocolate, No real aroma and no taste that I can pick up. I just kegged this earlier this week so perhaps it needs to age a bit, Hopefully it will get a bit of chocolate flavor.
Brett

I'm interested in the replies to this as well. I brewed up an chocolate milk stout extract kit, I soaked nibs in vodka for 2 weeks and added them after 2 weeks in the fermenter and I'm disappointed with the lack of chocolate, No real aroma and no taste that I can pick up. I just kegged this earlier this week so perhaps it needs to age a bit, Hopefully it will get a bit of chocolate flavor.
Brett

From my vast experience on using cacao nibs (see above), nibs will add some wonder full aroma but will only minimal traces of chocolate taste. Which was the case for my Christmas batch. I can't help but think that the vodka would break down some of the very things your looking to add. I'm sure other would disagree as I seen many use the same method. I've seen some use cocoa power to help boost the chocolate flavor.

From my vast experience on using cacao nibs (see above), nibs will add some wonder full aroma but will only minimal traces of chocolate taste. Which was the case for my Christmas batch. I can't help but think that the vodka would break down some of the very things your looking to add. I'm sure other would disagree as I seen many use the same method. I've seen some use cocoa power to help boost the chocolate flavor.

I'm going to have to agree with your thoughts that perhaps the vodka had the opposite effect than I was hoping for. It sure smelled good while they were soaking though. I'll be looking at other suggestions and picking another one for the next time. lol
Brett

I'm really hoping more people post the way they get good character from nibs in secondary WITHOUT soapy flavors/infection.. I feel like a good amount of people know but just don't want to divulge the secret! Who knows.. maybe it is just as simple as tossing them in.

I read through this thread and thats how I came up with the soaking in vodka plan. Some other methods make sense as well.

one other note- in my case I was using a fast fermenter which shouldn't have made a difference other than maybe there was not as much beer to nibs contact, I did leave the valve closed for a week after adding them though just for that reason.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=538168

...one other note- in my case I was using a fast fermenter which shouldn't have made a difference other than maybe there was not as much beer to nibs contact, I did leave the valve closed for a week after adding them though just for that reason.

I use a FF too (2 actually). What makes you think there is less beer contact in FF? Are you adding the nibs in the fermenter or in the collection ball?

I'm really hoping more people post the way they get good character from nibs in secondary WITHOUT soapy flavors/infection.. I feel like a good amount of people know but just don't want to divulge the secret! Who knows.. maybe it is just as simple as tossing them in.

Ive always covered them barely in water and boil it for like 60sec ont eh stove. Sanitized and gets you more flavor than vodka. and smells amazing

I have racked straight onto the nibs, and have gone from 1-4 weeks. 4 weeks gave great aroma, and a hint of cocoa flavor.

Chocolate rye malt also seems to give a nice hint of bakers chocolate.

I use a FF too (2 actually). What makes you think there is less beer contact in FF? Are you adding the nibs in the fermenter or in the collection ball?

I don't "think" that. I was wondering if the smaller surface area ( dropping to the bottom of the cone) and only having 4-5" in contact with the beer above it vs putting into a secondary or bucket and having more surface contact spread across the entire bottom would make any difference. I had the valve shut. Others have had better results than meusing the same method I did so I'm wondering what was different. The FF is something that is different thereby raising the question if it could have something to do with the amount of nibs in direct contact.

Brett

I don't "think" that. I was wondering if the smaller surface area ( dropping to the bottom of the cone) and only having 4-5" in contact with the beer above it vs putting into a secondary or bucket and having more surface contact spread across the entire bottom would make any difference. I had the valve shut. Others have had better results than meusing the same method I did so I'm wondering what was different. The FF is something that is different thereby raising the question if it could have something to do with the amount of nibs in direct contact.

Brett

Sorry... I thought your previous post read more like a statement than a question. I wouldn't be concerned with the smaller beer volume/surface area in the cone when dry hoping or other soaking additions during secondary. Whatever oils or other compounds they given off will diffuse throughout the beer.

The one situation where the smaller volume in the bottom of the cone that could have a negative effect, is with bottom fermenting lager yeast. But for dry hopping and secondary additions, it's shouldn't have any negative affect.

My technique is to rack directly onto the cocoa nibs. No need to sanitize, especially with a healthy and high alcohol Imperial stout, or at least I see no need to sanitize. I find the vodka does more harm than good on that front. 1-2 weeks tops for me. I try to do my ingredients separately so you can do them for differing times. I tie a vanilla bean to a string and put it in the carboy so I can pull it when it has done its thing, while letting the chocolate sit a bit longer.

I like to crush 4oz roughly then add to a mason jar with 8oz of Kettle One. Let sit for a week, then strain into a storage container. Usually get 6oz of liquid from the return. I found 3oz of the tincture was more than enough for a chocolate stout. The flavor/aroma was very present. Ive used this process for the last 2 years and am very happy with the results. I plan to use some to make a choc/peanut butter stout this fall.

I like the sound of that @Natdavis777 . So you just use the liquid that's left after the soak and discard the actual nibs?

I like the sound of that @Natdavis777 . So you just use the liquid that's left after the soak and discard the actual nibs?

Yep. I put some panty hose (found this is the best strainer) over the opening of the jar and funnel the liquid into a small Woodford pint glass I saved. That 6oz is good for 10gal a beer (by my standards). The crushed nibs get tossed. The resulting tincture is very aromatic and cocoa-flavored (but not sweet)

I did 8 oz. of crushed nibs in a 5G batch of Robust Porter, left for a few weeks. Definitely a "dark chocolate" flavor, but delicious. Sad to say I only have one bottle left, saving it for a special winter night.

After a few days in the keg, I'm starting to get a taste and smell of chocolate so maybe a little more time will get t there

Brett

I like to crush 4oz roughly then add to a mason jar with 8oz of Kettle One. Let sit for a week, then strain into a storage container. Usually get 6oz of liquid from the return. I found 3oz of the tincture was more than enough for a chocolate stout. The flavor/aroma was very present. Ive used this process for the last 2 years and am very happy with the results. I plan to use some to make a choc/peanut butter stout this fall.

I like this method too. Making a tincture as opposed to relying on solid material would be a very clean and easily controlled method. Will you use this process with the peanut butter as well, Natdavis?

I poured the nibs in the secondary and racked on top. Turned out GREAT!

I like this method too. Making a tincture as opposed to relying on solid material would be a very clean and easily controlled method. Will you use this process with the peanut butter as well, Natdavis?

I plan to. I use ~6% chocolate malt in my stout as it is. The PB2 that I will be using for the peanut butter contribution has chocolate in it already, so I will have to see how the stout comes out after the PB2 is added to dictate how much tincture will be required.

Hate to revive an old thread, but its better than starting a brand new one......My question here is how long do you guys let the nibs sit in the secondary? would 3-4 weeks be entirely too long?

Hate to revive an old thread, but its better than starting a brand new one......My question here is how long do you guys let the nibs sit in the secondary? would 3-4 weeks be entirely too long?

Good job using search! :mug:

As for using nibs, 7-10 days worked well for me in a 10 gallon batch of an Oatmeal Coffee/Chocolate stout. Both flavors were subdued with heavy amounts of roasted malts but the flavor was there.

I personally would use them 2 week before bottling at longest.

Good luck!

i kegged my latest porter and i put a vanilla bean and nibs in a small glass. poured bourbon to just cover and let it sit for about 3 days. then i put the solids into tea balls, dropped tea balls into keg, tasted bourbon, poured bourbon into keg, carbonated and im still enjoying! vanilla was really strong for the first couple of weeks, but mellowed out nicely. its got some nice chocolaty aroma and flavor with just a hint of vanilla. nibs and bean are still in keg and no off flavors are detectable.

I just kegged an Imperial stout that I racked to secondary for 1.5 months over 6oz cacao nibs, a cinnamon stick and 1tsp nutmeg that had soaked in 6oz Japanese whiskey for 48 hours.

Turend out amazing, the chocolate flavor really comes through with no astringent or overly bitter flavors.

I just kegged an Imperial stout that I racked to secondary for 1.5 months over 6oz cacao nibs, a cinnamon stick and 1tsp nutmeg that had soaked in 6oz Japanese whiskey for 48 hours.

Turend out amazing, the chocolate flavor really comes through with no astringent or overly bitter flavors.

That is good to hear. My suggestion would be to taste it often! I was going to say that I would keep it under two weeks, as I have gotten some astringency from the cocoa nibs, but it sounds like this worked out well at 1.5 monthes. It would be interesting to do a side by side of lots of nibs for a short amount of time vs a smaller quantity at longer times.

Back