New to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisandCols

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Coleen. We are in CT. My husband has brewed at home before, but I am new. I thought it would be great to do together ,and who doesn't love beer? I don't want to buy beer anymore, I want to enjoy making and drinking our own. I can use all the help and advice I can get!! :mug:

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find all the info you need on this site :)

Cheers!

Welcome from another Nutmeger! Where in CT are you? This is best place on the net for learning about the best hobby in the world!

Welcome. The things most new brewers have problems with are patience, lousy instructions that lead to impatience, and fermentation temperature control.

If you find a kit or recipe instructions that say ferment for x days then transfer to secondary for y days, toss those instructions. Get and learn how to use a hydrometer to determine when to do the next step.

For fermentation temperature control research methods to keep the wort near a specific temperature during the fermentation stage. Mid sixties for most ale yeasts.

Also - Sanitation. Everything that comes in contact with the beer after the boil must be sanitized.

Back