Nutrients and Minerals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakr8

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am currently making cider in Thailand.

I have tried a few batches (6L a time) and am really just experimenting.

So far they have all failed. I am using apple juice powder made from 100% pure apple with no additives or preservatives, just pure spray dried apple juice.

What happens is that fermentation starts very well, after about 6 hours I am seeing plenty of CO2 production but after about 3 or 4 days it slows down and becomes quickly inactive.

I have done various methods and my OG is around 1.065 and when it becomes inactive the FG is a mere 1.055 or thereabouts. Which is a little over 1% ABV.

I have also done batches alongside the apple powder and just used sugar, water and yeast. (I am using bakers yeast because brewers yeast is pretty hard to get in Thailand).

The results of the brews without apple is exactly the same as with the apple.

I have tried tap water and bottled water with the exact same results (both boiled gently for 30 minutes).

I was told that in Thailand the water contains zero minerals and that I should use both minerals and nutrients (vitamins) because without these the yeast will die off quickly as soon as there is alcohol present. I think this could well be the problem and I want to try the next batch with these added.

My biggest problem.... I can get hold of Thaiamine I think but I am absolutely stumped at getting hold of anything else here without very expensive importation.

I am looking for advice on what everyday common ingredients I could use to boost my yeast production and keep it alive, and any advice regarding best times to add these.

For example, what can be substituted as a starter, or what I can use to mineralise the water..... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am happy to share the results of my tests for the benefit of the community.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Peakr8,

I've been homebrewing in Thailand for a few years. I've made my share of cider. I'm guessing that your problem is the yeast. Bakers yeast isn't going to get you to where you want to go. Right now I use Lalvin ec-1118, which I had someone send me from the States. It's cheap there, it can be sent in a regular envelope, and I don't think there was a duty on it.

A better alternative, though, is ordering supplies here. Over the last five years, homebrewing has really taken off. There are companies here in Thailand selling equipment and ingredients. There at least five that I have identified. I've twice ordered from Brewmasterthailand (google him), and been very pleased. Homebrewthailand.com has a list of purveyors.

Good luck

Try and get some decent yeast from somewhere.

I have no experience with apple powder. I have no problem with fermenting apple juice, but it supposedly is low in nutrients and is recommended to use some yeast nutrient to help it along.

Latest posts

Back