Brett C and Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 197168

Reaction score
I've brewed myself up a VERY nice and very strong old ale. The recipe is here if you want to take a look. Anyhow, it tastes amazing from the fermenter.

The thing is, I need to bottle it soon. The beer has had two months in the secondary but there is very little brett C flavour. I'm putting this down to the fact that we are just coming out of winter here. Apparently brett C likes a lot of warmth to get going.

So, if I do bottle it, I assume the brett will kick in and ferment the long chain dextrin remaining in the beer. Will this lead to noticeably more carbonation too? Should I under prime with this in mind?

Any help much appreciated as I'm far from experienced with ANY brett strain.

Thanks!!
HP

Will this lead to noticeably more carbonation too? Should I under prime with this in mind?

-IMO yes, it's always risky with Brett to bottle unless you've had very stable numbers for a while. Maybe leave it in the fermentor for a few more months and see if there is any activity. As for the taste, you could always try pitching in the secondary and see if it takes off and chews up any left over fermentable sugars.

Keep in mind im no Brett whizz...

Back