10 gallon transfers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
Maybe I'm over thinking this but I'm going up from 5 gallon batches.

I typically brew alone in my garage and ferment in my cool basement. Now I can carry a fermenter down stairs holding 5 gallons...I'm thinking 10 not so much.

I'm investing in a 14 gallon chronical and need to figure out a way to fill it.

Thinking of 2 trips with my buckets to the basement. Anybody do something different?

Thanx and cheers

Lou

You could do buckets but if it's not like ridiculously far then I believe most people would pump it from the kettle into the fermenter. Is this possible for you?

Yeah, 10 gallons is a whole lot to carry down stairs... Even in 2 batches!

How far is it from the brew kettle to the fermenter? Sounds like since it is down stairs, you could just get a really long silicon tube and let er rip! Wouldn't even need a pump!

-Another Lou

It's farther than that. I wish I could pump and just ferment upstairs but it's much farther than that.

I like doing to 5 gallon trips, dumping the buckets into the fermenter is good aeration too!

If it were me, I'd just keep them in two 5 gallon carboys. One less transfer to deal with and the money for the chronical could be put to something else in the brewery.

If it were me, I'd just keep them in two 5 gallon carboys. One less transfer to deal with and the money for the chronical could be put to something else in the brewery.

That temperature control unit looks really sweet though. A fridge would be cheaper but gadgets rule.

Latest posts

Back