Kettle value for 15.5 gal sanke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmosu

Reaction score
I'm just about ready to drill the hole in the side of my 15.5 gallon sanke keg for the kettle valve, but I just wanted to double check w/everyone on here... how high above the bottom of the keg should I be?

my kettle leaves about a gallon behind which seems fine for 5 gallon batches. Bigger batches = more trub and stuff. I would pour a gallon of water in your kettle and mark how that is then drill a hole appropriately.

As long as you're up on the keg wall, any reasonable placement will work. You can take care of reaching the bottom of the keggle with your diptube.

Make sure your high enough that ALL of the hardware sits flat on the side. If your using any kind of washers make sure they clear inside and out.

Make sure your high enough that ALL of the hardware sits flat on the side. If your using any kind of washers make sure they clear inside and out.

Thanks for all the advice on this. I finally got it drilled out and tested.. no leaks! My outdoor burner just came in as well, so I'm going to hopefully brew sometime this week.

I'm just about ready to drill the hole in the side of my 15.5 gallon sanke keg for the kettle valve, but I just wanted to double check w/everyone on here... how high above the bottom of the keg should I be?

What valve did you install? I purchased this valve the other week and I'm about to install it, but I am trying to figure out what size bit to use to drill the hole.

Congrats on your setup! :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
What valve did you install? I purchased this valve the other week and I'm about to install it, but I am trying to figure out what size bit to use to drill the hole.

Congrats on your setup! :cheers:

That's not quite it.. I'll have to look around and see if I still have the package. I do know that I used a 7/8" hole saw on it. Let me know if you have any questions... that was my first time drilling and cleaning a keg as well.

Just found it: LINK

Mine is a one piece with 3/8 NPT on the inlet. Yours says 1/2 NPT, but there's an adapter on there that I can't find any info on. You can probably take it to a hardware store and they should have a bit gauge you can use.. if not, just eyeball it. And don't forget to keep oil on the tip of the bit while drilling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @gregmosu! I found that I needed to drill a 1 inch hole to install the valve. I was thinking of buying the same one you did and the bazooka screen, but of course went a different route (pickup tube instead of bazooka screen).

Good luck with your new setup! I'm sure you're excited to use it very soon as I am too. Thanks for your help and take care! :mug:

Thanks @gregmosu! I found that I needed to drill a 1 inch hole to install the valve. I was thinking of buying the same one you did and the bazooka screen, but of course went a different route (pickup tube instead of bazooka screen).

Good luck with your new setup! I'm sure you're excited to use it very soon as I am too. Thanks for your help and take care! :mug:

Thanks! I'm all set up to brew an American IPA this evening! Hopefully all goes well :tank:

Back