Cellar placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a beer/wine cellar that I keep in a large, freestanding wine cooler. It can hold 400-500 bottles, so it would be very heavy if full. We moved to a new house and I plan to set it up in the finished basement, which has low-pile carpet. Is it ok to install this on carpet or should I put a sheet of plywood or something underneath it? The instructions don't have any guidance here. I'd prefer something that looks relatively nice and that won't ultimately ruin the carpet, if that's possible.

Thanks and sorry if I put this I put this wrong forum.

Whatever you put under it, is gonna' flatten the carpet, to a degree.

Be it a pad @ each foot, or a full size piece of plywood.

Another consideration, is any condensate that it might generate.

Good points. I'm fine with a little flattening. It will probably be better if its just under the feet than a whole big rectangle.

They make support "cups" for under furniture feet, that have "spikes" on them, which let's the floor below the carpet do the supporting, and not the carpet weave.

They puncture the carpet and backing, and stick in the subfloor, which is O K unless you have a nice floor under the carpet...........:D

I would be very wary about putting any refrigeration unit on carpet. Perhaps the industrial office type flat carpet, maybe. I'd still be wary. I would put a piece of plywood under it at least.

They make support "cups" for under furniture feet, that have "spikes" on them, which let's the floor below the carpet do the supporting, and not the carpet weave.

They puncture the carpet and backing, and stick in the subfloor, which is O K unless you have a nice floor under the carpet...........:D

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that. I might have to figure out what the subfloor is. It sounds like if you use these, you have to replace the carpet if you ever move it?

I would put something under it just in case. It might help dissipate heat better not being on carpet or put plywood or lift it a little.

It vents from the top and back so there shouldn't be too much happening at the bottom. It has some short feet, but overall I think it's intended to be pretty close to the floor.

I would be very wary about putting any refrigeration unit on carpet. Perhaps the industrial office type flat carpet, maybe. I'd still be wary. I would put a piece of plywood under it at least.

I've read online about leaking and condensation concerns. This is kind of like a big cabinet with a cooling unit that looks kind of like a small window a/c. The cooling unit is inside the cabinet at the top. So, it's totally possible that it could leak, but it shouldn't have line breaks and if it does, it will leak in the cabinet (unfortunately). Is there another reason I'm missing?

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that. I might have to figure out what the subfloor is. It sounds like if you use these, you have to replace the carpet if you ever move it?

No, the "spikes" perforate the backing, and do no damage to the pile.
So it's basically "hovering" over the carpet, with the spikes in the plywood, ( ideally!), subfloor.

They don't penetrate far.

I'd recommend using something like furniture moving pads, but leave them under the unit, as it's going to be a bear to move when full, and you always need to slide out to clean the coils from the back of a freezer or refer periodically (like everytime it starts to get loud). Those pads make moving anything on carpet very easy.

Back