Welded corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
I received some free 5gal corny kegs and wasn't paying attention to detail and one of the ones I kept for myself has previously welded and the weld wasn't ground smooth on the inside of the keg. It's at the bottom so it is nearly impossible to get to.
It don't leak and it holds pressure but I'm worried that it will cause problems with sanitization. Anyone care to chime in on what to do?

No there isn't any rust. It's at the bottom about an inch from the very bottom and I can only fit my arm in about 4 inches past my wrist.
Will the current bubbled up weld material on the inside hold bacteria? How can I sanitize or can I even?

I would imagine it could easily hold contaminates.
Find someone with a smaller arm to grind the weld or put a die grinder on a stick. Where there' will there is always a way.

Get an old pool cue, and glue some sand paper to the cushioned end of it, and "twist" away.

After you knock it down, re-passivate it with some "Barkeepers, (is it "friend" or "secret" ?), I always forget!

Die grinder hose clamped to a pool cue will do it as well, and be quicker, but I would like to be there to watch ya' control it! :D

I had one of mine welded that leaked and I just started using it as a sour keg. IMHO it's stainless steel and if you let cleaner sit in there for a bit it will dissolve everything organic. However, just to be on the safe side on my end I decided to use it as a sour.

Those are two very nice stainless welds! I wouldn't worry about them, just make sure the keg is good and clean and we'll sanitized before using it.

I wouldn't call those nice welds generally but for the welder to get in the position to weld it they are pretty good

Back