Auber Switches Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcbandl

Reaction score
I have most of the items I need to start assembling a control panel for a 120V 2000W rims tube controller that will also control a chugger pump. I bought all the parts from Auber.

The first item of concern is
Emergency Stop (E-Stop) Switch, 22mm http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_32&products_id=259
I plan to use this as the main power switch for the whole unit. Pull on, push off. I see some of the diagrams show its used to throw the GFCI in case of emergency, so it made me wonder if it would work as a straight on/off switch.

The second are the switches Selector Switch, 2-Position Maintained 1NO 1NC, 22mm http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_32&products_id=236
The whole 1NO, 1NC I am not sure about. I will be using 2 switches for simple on/off switches for the pump and element. I am guessing with the 1NO, 1NC it could be used as 1 position 1 thing is powered on, and the other position something else would be powered on and the first thing is off. So in my case I have 1 block that I wont even be using.

e-stop as main power = not a good idea.... the contacts are only rated for 10A anyways which is not enough for a 2KW heater, you'll need a "contactor" to manually turn the full panel power on and off

#2 search ebay for "maintained 1NO"

Well crap. Ya I didnt even notice the 10A on the e-stop. The switches are also 10A so the one for the pump is ok but the one for the element wont work. Unless it can be put inline between the PID and the SSR. Guess I need to read up a bit more before I assemble this thing.

OK I am looking at this diagram. The switches I have already as posted above, should be good for the pump and PID since they both draw well below 10amps. I would just need to get a 20amp switch for the element line? And I can use the e-stop as shown in the diagram.

Auberin-wiring1-a4-2000w-BIAB-120V-A.jpg

using switches to control relays or contractors is the best option by far... I have my power switch (and my estop) wired to control all my pids as well as the 24v powersupply that powers all my (24vdc omron) relay coils so once that is hit, all my relays deactivate and kill heat/power to everything.

You can still use the E-Stop as a switch, but you have to add a relay. Then do the same for the other 10A, element switch. I use these in my mini panel.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_31&products_id=250

I ordered these and just wanted clarification on the input side from the switches. These do take 120vac on the switch side correct?

Also for the one that will switch the element, where would be the best placement. Before the SSR or inbetween the SSR and the element.

Yes, the coil is 120v and you are using the switch to contol the power to the coil.

You want the element switch between the SSR and the element. If the SSR broke in the on position, you can still cut power to the element.

Yes, the coil is 120v and you are using the switch to contol the power to the coil.

You want the element switch between the SSR and the element. If the SSR broke in the on position, you can still cut power to the element.

Thanks, the relays just arrived yesterday. The housing should arrive this week so I can start assembling. I will have 1 relay on the e-stop switch for the main power and another controlled by a switch between the SSR and the element. I also bought a few more NO blocks so I can just wire the indicator lights to the second NO blocks on the switches. I figured it would be a bit cleaner wiring that way.

Back