Does this look normal? Photos attached.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuraBirra

Reaction score
My IPA is currently 10 days in to the fermentation. It seems to be sitting consistently at my target final gravity and I believe the fermentation to be finished. Please correct me if I am wrong. I just opened the conical fermenter for the first time since I filled it on brew day. This is what I saw. What is thay floating on top? Is it normal? I detect no off flavors or smells.

20150831_152745.jpg

20150831_152738.jpg

Trub residue? from the stuff that sticks to the side after the krausen has fallen.

If it is indeed the start of an infection what is my best immidiate plan of action to salvage the batch?

As soon as it's at FG, rack from under it ( you don't need to waste a six pack here)to the bottling bucket. Prime & bottle it up.

I had been planning to do the cold crash at this point. Which would be done inside of the fermenter. It has built in temp control with warming/cooling capabilities.

I will be kegging, not bottling.

Please advise.

I'd keg that up tonight if ever. You got the pimp fermenter so just add lots of sanitizer to your process. Don't let it get to you of its bad - just do it again cleaner.

I don't see anything conclusively pointing to an infection in the photos.

A recently fallen krausen in a batch will have a very variable appearance.

If it is infected there is no curative process open to you. It's not information on which you can act other than to dump. If it's infected you'll know soon enough. I'm sure your tastebuds a pretty refined being a chef.

Once you crash cool the majority of all that surface "stuff" will sink Out of sight, out of mind :D

BTW Weird looking conical. Almost looks like galvanized steel. Probably just the photo.

I don't see anything conclusively pointing to an infection in the photos.

A recently fallen krausen in a batch will have a very variable appearance.

If it is infected there is no curative process open to you. It's not information on which you can act other than to dump. If it's infected you'll know soon enough. I'm sure your tastebuds a pretty refined being a chef.

Once you crash cool the majority of all that surface "stuff" will sink Out of sight, out of mind :D

BTW Weird looking conical. Almost looks like galvanized steel. Probably just the photo.

There are some suspect-looking bubbles in there, but most of the top looks OK. Id keep an eye on the gravity and on those bubbles to see if they stick around and/or continue to grow.

I had been planning to do the cold crash at this point. Which would be done inside of the fermenter. It has built in temp control with warming/cooling capabilities.

I will be kegging, not bottling.

Please advise.

That's one great thing about kegging -- keeping it cool will severely inhibit any infection, outright stop it for many types. Take a sample now and if it's not asswater then keg and throw in the fridge and all will be well. Drink young, especially since an IPA.

If that is what Lacto looks like then I feel fairly confident that none is present in my batch. Looks quite different.

I am torn between whether or not an infection is actually present but have went ahead and began the crash cooling process by setting the temperature control on my conical to 34F. I plan to hold it at this temperature for 4 days before kegging. Sound good?

About that conical - it really does look like galvanized steel. What type of conical is that?

I have the "Heated & Cooled Conical" from MoreBeer. It is Stainless. I think the flash on my camera combined with poor lighting inside the conical (lid was only partially removed, to the side) had some sort of weird effect on the photo? I dunno.

You can cold crash it and keg it. Of the 2 infected batches I've had out of about 50 batches, I was reluctant to package the beer for fear of spreading the infection into more of my equipment. But it's up to you.

it looks fine to me. i wouldnt worry about lacto in a IPA too many IBUs for lacto to be happy.

If that is what Lacto looks like then I feel fairly confident that none is present in my batch. Looks quite different.

I am torn between whether or not an infection is actually present but have went ahead and began the crash cooling process by setting the temperature control on my conical to 34F. I plan to hold it at this temperature for 4 days before kegging. Sound good?

4 days is fine. Usually I do 2-4 days. 1 day to cool, 1 day for gelatin to do it's thing and then when i get to it. Was going to keg an APA tonight. I'll do it tomorrow. 4 days at 32F.

4 days is fine.

I've kegged an infected batch recently (bad dry hop) and found the beer was tolerable until about week 6... then it was a total drain pour. Give it a shot ;)

Back