Temp of fermenting beer question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshearer9

Reaction score
Just brewed my first ever batch of beer and its fermenting currently. It's been two days and I forgot to put my fermometer on the carboy. The temperature of the beer is at 74-76 degrees F. I heard over 70 will cause off flavors in the beer. Is my beer screwed or is it fine? It's an IPA by the way.

Just brewed my first ever batch of beer and its fermenting currently. It's been two days and I forgot to put my fermometer on the carboy. The temperature of the beer is at 74-76 degrees F. I heard over 70 will cause off flavors in the beer. Is my beer screwed or is it fine? It's an IPA by the way.

It's not screwed- it just may have some off-flavors that are created by a too-warm fermentation, especially if it started off warm like that. Generally, the flavors that come from that are called "esters"- fruity flavors like bubblegum or bananas, with occasionally a "hot" alcohol flavor as well.

Well hopped beers may cover some of that fruitiness, as often hops character is fruity.

Ok also if I put 3 fans facing the carboy will that cool it down haha

with a wet t-shirt on it that will help(evaporation) as long as you are not in a humid enviroment. Your beer will not be ruined at those temps, it just might taste different than if you brew it come feb.

You can wrap the carboy in blankets that you soaked in cold water also to help regulate the temp.

During the summer it's hard for me to ferment under a max of 78°. During the winter I often ferment around 65°. There is a taste difference between my winter brews and summer brews to me, but not to anyone else. That said, the difference is not a negative or positive one...just different.

This is why when I see a post about buying a new system I always recommend securing temp control before buying a single kettle. You need a dual temp controller, a fridge, and a reptile heater/propagation mat. You'll be so happy you bought it once you do! I swear! A lot. But still.

A swamp cooler is an easy way at to keep your beers in the mid 60's. Perfect for ales. $20 investment and it'll greatly improve the quality of your beer. Got buy a $15 plastic tote or bucket from Walmart, fill it with a couple inches of water and add a frozen milk jug of water. Then take an old shirt or towel and keep a bit of it in the water and then the other part wrapped around your fermenter. Also, invest in a $3 stick on thermometer.

Controlling fermentation temp is the best way to improve the quality and consistency of your beer. I would save your money on fancy brewing gear and get an old fridge or deep freezer and a temp controller online.

wshearer9, I did the exact same thing with my first brew. I didn't monitor fermentation temps for the first two days, ambient was around 72*. Added a swamp cooler made from a plastic tub, towel, and frozen milk jugs. I threw on a stick on thermometer and after fermentation is completed the temp reads at 62*. I don't have any temps with the swamp cooler during fermentation but the cooler is keeping the beer 10 degrees below ambient just fine.

Back