Screw on cap bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepetitnormand

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know nobody recommend to use them period.

That being said I do buy some beer that from time to time comes in those bottle and therefore I do have some that I could reuse.

As I was buying some new caps yesterday at austin hombrew I saw a couple of package who were showing (on the cap itself) the usual marking I would see on commercial beer in a twist off bottle. I did not think about asking anyone at the store at the time and now as I just cleaned and rinse my last couple of bottle found out I had two twist off bottle in the bunch and was wondering is there a way to reuse them as well....

The glass is thinner on the twist offs. And they have a different capping system for those, as I understand it. Those bottles are a crap shoot as to whether they'll seal or not.

Don't do it, man. You are asking for disappointment when half your bottles are flat...

I'vecapped a few mixed batches of pry offs and twist offs, and haven't yet noticed any differences in carbonation. That said, I'm using a bench capper and "universal caps" that say they are for twist of or pry off bottles

I wouldn't trust my wing capper to seal them properly..and I don't trust myself trying to screw them back on tight enough.

My wife drinks Blue Moon and Ive capped those with no issues. I also get alot of Yuengling bottles (brown only) from friends and have capped those with no issues. Ive used some of the Yuengling bottles for 2-3 years.

That being said, the twist off are always first to be given away to people who may not return bottles.

I've used them plenty when I first started brewing and didn't have enough pry off bottles. Zero issues with sealing or carbonation with my wing capper but I found them a little trickier to detach from the capper so pretty much eliminated now

You work hard, spend time and money to make your beer. Do you really want to risk wasting some of it because you insist on using those bottles?

Get enough pop-tops to bottle all your beer. The twist-offs can go in the recycling bin.

Yeah, I toss the twist offs these days, but if the 6 or 12 pack cartons are good & sturdy, I use'em for my pop top bottles to store/condition in. Like Leinenkugel's, Bud, Labatt's & some craft ones, like Magic Hat. Sturdy boxes that stack well & take up less space than shipping boxes. :mug:

Back