wort too sweet, did I made a mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maescobarl

Reaction score
Hi Camaradas,

Yesterday a Russian Imperial Stout was brewed, but I think the wort was to sweet and the OG to high! 1.100, do you think this beer will be nice?

The recipe

- 7.73 Kg MALTA PALE ALE WEYERMANN
- 450 g MALTA CHOCOLATE
- 450 g ROASTED BARLEY WEYERMANN
- 230 g MALTA CARAFA TYP3 WEYERMANN
- 230 g MALTA CARAMEL 120L BRIESS

HOPS Onza
2 OZ PIEZA LUPULO GALENA PAQUETE
2 OZ PIEZA LUPULO NORTHERN BREWER
YIELD Lallemand
1 PIEZA LEVADURA WINDSOR LALLEMAND

Mash time by 2 hours. sparging time 20 min. with 10 litres

Total wort 24 litres

I taste another beers very sweet and really dont like do u think this beer will be one of those?

What would you recommend?

Regards

Did you pitch one 11 gram pack of Windsor yeast? Beer this size might need two more packs of yeast.

With enough yeast and good aeration the beer may turn out to your liking, without the sweet taste.

Sweet wort doesn't equal sweet beer. The yeast eats that sugar and turns it into alcohol. If your final gravity gets into the 1.02x range it won't be too sweet.

Wort should be very sweet, but beer shouldn't. The OG is spot on for a nice RIS. Would recommend more yeast as well. Windsor is a lower attenuating strain to start with so one pack will be overmatched with 1.100.

2 hour mash??? What temps did you hit for mash/sparge?

Also, sweet wort only means sweet beer if your yeast only attenuate on the low side. I'd certainly pitch more yeast than one packet in a 1.100 beer. Jamil and Brewer's Friend both have great yeast calculators.

Camaradas,

yes only one 1 yield pack used, it is fermenting and the bubbles are crazy... so as you recomend.. I'll pitch another pack of yield...

Thanks

Hi metanoia,

So, would you be so fine to put the Jamil and Brewer's link, please

Also, sweet wort only means sweet beer if your yeast only attenuate on the low side. I'd certainly pitch more yeast than one packet in a 1.100 beer. Jamil and Brewer's Friend both have great yeast calculators.

Temperature for mash 68° C, sparge 78° C, the mashing time toke 2 hours because I have to move and the time run, I think it was a very big mistake, for the high OG 1.100 dou you think is somenthing wrong??

I may be wrong, but with a mash temp of 155 F, 3 lbs of speciality grains, and using Windsor, I suspect you will be lucky to get down to 1.035. I think it is going to be very sweet tasting.

The worst thing that can happen to your beer is to let it ferment to warm, producing fusel alcohols. Check the optimum fermentation temperature for the yeast. Keep the fermentation temperature on the cool side for the yeast.

ok, I agree with you, the beer is going to be sweet, but what was the errror? and whats the solution? can I correct this beer?

I think your beer is going to come out fine, as long as you keep the fermentation temperature between 16.5˚C and 19.5˚C. It might take more time than you expect for it to finish fermentation, due to the presence of all the sugar in the wort. I don't think you made any mistakes based on what you have described about your process so far. The long mash time should help with the fermentability of the wort, and help dry out the final beer. After a couple of weeks, you should take an SG reading, wait three days, and take another SG reading. If the readings are the same, then fermentation is done. If the readings aren't the same, take another reading after three more days. Keep taking readings every three days until you get two consecutive readings that are the same.

Where did you get this recipe? Did the recipe give you target values for the OG (yours was 1.100) and the FG?

Brew on :mug:

Im interested on Blending the beers, I think its very nice way. Could you tell me a recipe super dry & bitter?

Regards

1.5kG of unfermentable malts.

Other than making another beer super dry & bitter & blending them?

:mug:

I do not have any recipes, but I am sure you can find a few here on this very site, if not just Googling "dry Irish stout".

:)

ok, I agree with you, the beer is going to be sweet, but what was the errror? and whats the solution? can I correct this beer?

This may be a great beer. Wait until it is finished before eciding whether you need to do anything to it.

My comments on the recipe (I make beer, but am no expert):

- 3lbs of speciality malt will leave a high FG. You need to understand what you are adding and what you want the result to be.
- In future. You can replace some grain with plain sugar to offset the unfermentable sugar.
- Mashing at 155 F will leave a lot of unfermentables. It is a balance of what you want to end up with. This can work with many beers, but I think you have everything against you in this beer.
- The biggest problem you have with this beer is using Windsor yeast. It is a low attenuating yeast.

How to fix? I hate giving this type of advice. If it ends up sweet, you could try moving it onto the ake of a higher attenuating yeast to knock a few points off the FG. Not sure there is much more that you can do.

thanks!,

After 7 days I'll check the readings and move to a second fermentor and pitch another pack of yield? do I have to use the same windsor or can I use SAFALE S-04? I really would like to save this beer!

This may be a great beer. Wait until it is finished before eciding whether you need to do anything to it.

My comments on the recipe (I make beer, but am no expert):

- 3lbs of speciality malt will leave a high FG. You need to understand what you are adding and what you want the result to be.
- In future. You can replace some grain with plain sugar to offset the unfermentable sugar.
- Mashing at 155 F will leave a lot of unfermentables. It is a balance of what you want to end up with. This can work with many beers, but I think you have everything against you in this beer.
- The biggest problem you have with this beer is using Windsor yeast. It is a low attenuating yeast.

How to fix? I hate giving this type of advice. If it ends up sweet, you could try moving it onto the ake of a higher attenuating yeast to knock a few points off the FG. Not sure there is much more that you can do.

Hi Camaradas,

Yesterday I transfer the beer to a second fermentor, the beer was very.. very.. delicious, but the Gravity still high 1.032, when the transfer done, another pack of yeast was pitched and added, the beer was not moved and not even oxigenated, the reason to pitch more yeast is.... I'm watting to down the Gravity, I really hope it does.. maybe waitting one or two weeks more

Hi Camaradas,

Yesterday I transfer the beer to a second fermentor, the beer was very.. very.. delicious, but the Gravity still high 1.032, when the transfer done, another pack of yeast was pitched and added, the beer was not moved and not even oxigenated, the reason to pitch more yeast is.... I'm watting to down the Gravity, I really hope it does.. maybe waitting one or two weeks more

Even if it doesn't get any lower, it might still end up a fine beer. A lot of RIS that you'll taste aren't exactly the most dry beers in existence. Often the bitterness from the roast malts will work in conjunction with any perceptions of sweetness from a 1.032 body. I don't think it will be sugar water by any means...you might just go with it and see what you might want to change / shoot for next time.

You didn't hurt anything by pitching the extra packet but that isn't going to do anything to help. There is already way more yeast in the fermenter than that one packet, and pitching them directly into a beer that's already almost 9% is a bit of a death sentence. IMO you probably transferred early but in the long run may not make much difference. I'd try to keep it a little warmer than it was originally fermenting and see if you eek out a few more points.

If the original fermentation doesn't go any lower I would just leave it alone at this point, given how big the beer is and the recipe it's likely about as low as it's going. To have a chance to go lower you'd have to pitch a big active starter of an attenuative yeast, and even then I don't know how much you'd gain. I'd give this guy 5-6 months at least to age - and it will likely continue to improve after that. You keep talking as if this beer is ruined but you're not really going to be able to judge before then. If at that point it's way too sweet for your tastes then you can think about brewing something to blend it with.

Back