Can you fix bland hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleiii

Reaction score
I have 10 plants of 6 varieties from 2-4 yrs old, and several are nearly aroma less.
2 cascades (2 yrs) came from a museum hop garden cutting and are just as bland as the originals. I hoped for better in my garden (I'm in NJ) with better care, but not so.
Another is a 2nd year (2 year old crown) My Hood that produced an oz or so last year that was amazing, but pitiful this year in spite of being the largest by far. The cones are barely visible and nothing to even consider.
3 more crowns went in late last spring last year to replace the ones that did not survive a too early delivery, and they are still pretty small but have OK cones. Not much more than last year.
The remaining are 4 yrs old, cascades from a cutting and nugget from crowns. Good yield but marginal aroma.
They are in 5 gal nursery buckets buried fully and drip irrigated. The dirt is 50/50 dirt from holes and composted manure. I did use a general purpose garden fertilizer.
They are on 14 ft garden trellis with a south facing and get about 12 hrs of sun in mid summer. All but the 3 young crowns have reached the 14 ft point plus some.
Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do for them?

I live in the same town as you and have all of my crowns in buckets because the native soil is so poor. All my crowns are second year. I have 3 cascade, 1 nugget, 1 centennial, 1 brewers gold, 1 hallertau, and 1 williamette. The hallertau and williamette hardly had any cones, but the others I harvested over 1 pound dry combined. In fact, 3 of my first year crossbreeds out produced the hallertau and williamette. Yield seemed decent for second year plants and the aromas were good.

The soil mix I am using is 80% potting mix and 20% garden soil with a handful of soil amendment aadded.
I have mine is 5 and 6 gallon buckets or pots but will be upgrading next year. Despite the decent yield, the plants all became root bound. Next year all my main plants will be in 17 gallon tubs.

Ha, poor soil you say! My yard was common dump/swamp 1900's. Filled in and built on in the 20's. Its like silt.

Lucky. My neighborhood had been a peach orchard up till the 50's then built on. I've never had the soil tested, but it is heavily depleted and hard-packed. Tomatoes will not even grow in the natural soil without adding soil additions.

Back