how long to leave in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkhrt

Reaction score
I am brewing a Oaked burboun imperial stout and am wanting to give it away for Christmas presents. My question is after I rack to secondary and add the oak for after month, would you leave it in secondary to mellow or would you bottle and age it there? Just wondering so I can get ready soon. It is a few days from moving to secondary. I have also thought of putting it in an extra keg and purging it so there is no o2 in but not sure if that would work. Any input would be great thanks.

There is no definitive answer to your question.

The answer is, when it's done.

Knowing nothing else I'd let it ferment in primary vessel for 3 weeks. Then rack to a second vessel with your oak.

Oak cubes will take longer to impart flavor than spirals or chips, so I'd plan at least 1 month and take samples every 2 weeks afterwards until desired flavor is achieved. I use spirals and they are said to take 6 weeks to get max extraction. But I often go longer. You usually want to go over on flavors at this stage because you are planning for it to mellow and age in the bottle for some months afterwards.

So after the secondary it will be ok to bottle and age in there for a few months? I have an open keg I can put it in as well.

So after the secondary it will be ok to bottle and age in there for a few months? I have an open keg I can put it in as well.

You'll want to bottle aged big beers with harsh flavors to achieve a mellowing effect that results in a more rounded flavor profile.

Back