Rain before harvest??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessieann995

Reaction score
Hello, new to the group. I'm about to harvest my cascade hops. It is my first time growing and have enough for my brother to brew a small batch. It might rain tomorrow!! Is this bad?? Should I harvest before?? Thanks for any advice!
Jessie

HA - my very question - are hops like grapes. Do the acids diminish with rain and flourish with sun and heat?

HA - the growers said they really did not know but they believed it did not change anything.

So - inquiring minds need confirmation! This was one vine - got just under 40 oz wet. Now drying.

11921887_10153045507136641_4062062589688463307_n.jpg

If you are brewing with them right away, no problem. If you are going to dry them, it throws off the moisture content at all the start of drying, and makes it impossible to have accurate readings for when they will be properly dry

^that^ - I was about to write the same thing.

Not sure how to compensate for any "excess" wetness.
Maybe run them through the spin cycle in a muslin bag before weighing?

Cheers! ;)

It sucks when harvesting hundreds of hills when you start early in the morning. Dew and fog sucks!

Back