Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Let's Talk Motorcycles

Old 02-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #21
brauhaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

don't know bout you guys, but this is my ride...

does someone else think that dog is pissed off?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #22
Bedlam

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Well, yeah, he's pissed! He's thinking, "Git off the brake, yer killin' me!"

Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #23
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Guys, thanks for all of the great advice. I love this site for this reason-tons of great/honest advice from good peeps.

I have actually already taken the safety course in my area. I wanted to be able to test ride bikes I was looking at and have my license before I bought.

Does anyone out there have a Suzuki Boulevard? Those seem to fit the 'looks cool', 'used', and 'reliable' categories. There's also the Yamaha V-Star, seems like sort of the same deal.

I am 6 ft, 210 lbs, so I prolly don't need the 1000cc model, but 650 seems small? I don't know, we used Honda Shadow 250's in my course and those were wimpy.

Also- Just cracked my first AG brew(Ed's Haus PA). After 1 week in the bottle it's money! Amazing how much better AG is. Of course, I'm brewing up two AG batches this weekend!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #24
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2brew
I call BS on that. I ride a Ducati, but I owned a '98 XL1200 sport for years and had ZERO problems with it. I have seen plenty of 50K plus mile HDs with simple basic maintenance done. Feel free to say you don't care for Harley riders, of lifestyle, or even that they're for posers, but the Evo and BT motored HDs are very reliable. It was the AMC years that had QC issues, but that was decades ago.

Honda does make a great bike, but you're really showing a lack of knowledge about bikes in general to state what you have.
Please educate me. Cause I would love to hear. I have owned both brand of bikes and will never even consider buying a HD again. People that say HD are reliable are in denial, pure and simple. Course the only riding I do now is on the dirt, I would rather not take the chance of get road rash/run over anymore.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 AM   #25
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My father has had Harleys for 15+ years now with zero problems.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:11 AM   #26
Jesse17
Yep....I tell you what...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

When I was 17 or 18, I bought a 76' - 78' Kawasaki 650 that was punched out to 750. This was someones project bike that looked good, but was a piece of (well, you know). I don't know if it was just the incompetent guy who built the bike, but I really got a bad taste for Kawasaki from that bike.

My next bike was a '82 Suzuki GS1100G. I LOVE that bike. The problem was it was old, and I was broke. I rode it for several years, and finally gave it away because I couldn't afford to fix the numerous things that were wrong with it, and SWMBO always wanted to ride with me. It was one think for me to ride on a death trap, but I didn't want SWMBO on it too.

That being said, I want to get another bike someday, and it will be in the neighborhood of 1000 - 1200 CCs. I don't like hogs, and I don't like rice rockets, which is why I haven't got another one yet. I didn't realize that anyone still makes Standard bikes. I will have to check these out.

My advise to you: Don't get anything but a hog if it's the comradery you're looking for, get a Goldwing if it's touring you're looking for, and a Standard if you just want to have fun around town/country roads and short tours.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:12 AM   #27
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker
My father has had Harleys for 15+ years now with zero problems.
I bet it has never leaked oil either.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:12 AM   #28
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
Please educate me. Cause I would love to hear. I have owned both brand of bikes and will never even consider buying a HD again. People that say HD are reliable are in denial, pure and simple. Course the only riding I do now is on the dirt, I would rather not take the chance of get road rash/run over anymore.
Please tell us the model and year of the bike....I can't imagine you owned many Harley's at the age of 22.

I have owned a Kawasaki KZ650 no problems, Honda Shadow 750 a few electrical problems, Honda Shadow 1100 no problems but only had it 2 years, 2 1200 Sportsters No problems, Dyna Wide Glide defective neck bearing, Fat Boy no problems, Street Glide no problems yet but only 3500 miles.

So I have had 5 Harleys and the only issue was a bad neck bearing which was covered even after the warranty was up is this denial??

Old 02-08-2008, 12:16 AM   #29
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
I bet it has never leaked oil either.
It is funny how people who don't know anything about Harleys think all Harleys leak oil, this goes back to the day when they used chain oilers and the crappy AMF days fact is oil leakage simply is not an issue on the new bikes.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 AM   #30
Jesse17
Yep....I tell you what...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh, that last post reminded me. I would also sugest shaft drive. I can't imagine buying another chain (or belt) drive, after having my GS1100 with the shaft drive!