I want a point and shoot camera

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmendez29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, you clowns. I need some help. Yes, again...

We're in the process of building a house. I'm a DIY type, but a project of this magnitude is beyond my attention span. So we got the pros coming in. But I'm still unbelievably fascinated by the whole process. I got some great ideas from friends, such as taking pictures of every wall before the drywall goes up, so I know where every wire and pipe actually runs.

So this sparked another idea. I would really like to watch the framing happen. But then there's the whole short attention span thing which would preclude hanging out by the house all creepster-like for a week... So I was thinking of doing a time lapse video type thing. I have an old Olympus point and shoot, but it doesn't have the capabilities I need. Otherwise, all I really use for pics is my cellphone, which I will NOT be strapping to a tree for a few days at a time.

I really don't want to spend a lot of money. I nerd out to a lot of things, but photography isn't one of them. I'd like to stay under $100 with a name brand camera (Olympus, Nikon, canon, etc.) but I don't know if that's reasonable. I saw some purpose made cameras for time lapse stuff, but I'd rather not go that route. Latest and greatest isn't necessary, but always welcome if it's affordable. Not picky on max zoom or resolution, but something better than a 2x zoom would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Start by searching Amazon or your favorite place to buy for cameras in your price range. Though under $100 will be tough. $150-200 is a more reasonable expectation. Then go here and look up the model: http://www.dpreview.com/

This site will give you a thorough review of the camera and show you real world sample pictures to get an idea of the quality. I've always been a fan of Canon cameras but everyone has their own preferences.

It's $109, but I'd take a look at this model http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-A2500-Stabilized-2-7-Inch/dp/B00B5HE2UG/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1440860714&sr=1-1&keywords=canon+powershot&refinements=p_89%3ACanon%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A2224371011%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A10705381011%2Cp_36%3A1253506011
It's got 4 stars with 1400 reviews and has 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom which is huge for a camera this inexpensive. I bought an PowerShot SX260 3 years ago and couldn't be happier - it's my 5 Canon digital.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to the camera, you'll need a timer to pull off the time lapse. Make sure you new camera is compatible.

Ok, so it looks like the $100 limit is probably out and that's fine. I just didn't want to spend a ton of money on something that will spend way more time in a drawer than it should. Great suggestions so far. And I took the memory card as a given that I'd have to buy it separate.

In addition to the camera, you'll need a timer to pull off the time lapse. Make sure you new camera is compatible.

So I'd need an external timer? I figured that would be more for the SLR type stuff. Is this a common setup? Of all the P&S cameras I've ever owned, it never occurred to me that I could connect one up, so I wouldn't even know how to arrange something like this. Recommendations on where to start for that?

If it doesn't have its own time lapse function, read up on the CHDK.

chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

it's a way to get your Powershot to access functions normally hidden. Like time lapse & shoot in RAW.

No permanent changes to the camera, doesn't void the warranty & returning to factory settings is as simple as switching memory cards

GrogNerd, you are my hero. That is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for. This is why I love HBT. You all know the shortcuts to hack stuff. If I ever quit brewing, I'd still stay active just to get this kind of info. Thanks!

;) you're welcome

I haven't done much with my Powershot A620, even less with CHDK lately. Bought the T1i several years ago, then an intervalometer and now I have a Galaxy S5 phone. So, even though I still take my A620 wherever I go, I take more pics with the S5.

Still love my A620, it has an articulating screen, so I can hold it low, like it's a Rolleiflex, or hold it high to take pictures over a crowd.

I've got a Nikon Coolpix. It was right around a hundred bucks, and besides being 7 MP, it has more fatures than we'd ever use, including time lapse mode. The one trick on any camera will be how long the batteries last, if it's on the whole time, or if it goes to sleep mode, with a timer / clock in the background.
You might also look at the big outdoor stores like Bass Pro or Cabelas to see what they have in hunting cameras - those are designed to be outside for long periods of time, and may have the features you want. No idea what cost would be on something like that.

Back