stopper keep popping up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
I have a glass carboy and the brew shop in town sold me stopper, I think they are universal stopper and it fit in my carboy but it keep poppin up, it won't stay in. Now is this bad for my beer? I will go to another brew shop to get one tomorrow.

I have a glass carboy and the brew shop in town sold me stopper, I think they are universal stopper and it fit in my carboy but it keep poppin up, it won't stay in. Now is this bad for my beer? I will go to another brew shop to get one tomorrow.

Do you have a solid stopper on a carboy full of fermenting beer?

If so take it out and put some sanitized foil loosly over the opening.

Get a stopper with a hole in it and get an airlock on it.

Using Starsan? In my experience this causes neoprene (which is what most stoppers are made from) to become "slick" until it dries. I have carboy handles on my glass carboys and fashion a rubber band around it to help hold down the stopper.

Do you have a solid stopper on a carboy full of fermenting beer?

If so take it out and put some sanitized foil loosly over the opening.

Get a stopper with a hole in it and get an airlock on it.

yes its probably 10 days in secondary, I just transferred in a carboy to cold crash soon. Its not a solid stopper, its one with a hold and I have a airlock on it.

I use the universal stopper with all my carboys. Does the stopper feel sticky against your fingers when you rinse it under warm water. If it doesn't, there may be some cleaner residue on it.

I use the universal stopper with all my carboys. Does the stopper feel sticky against your fingers when you rinse it under warm water. If it doesn't, there may be some cleaner residue on it.

it is a universal one and I just cleaned my carboy with starsan before maybe that is why its not sicking to the glass?

If it's one of these:
C3Buptn.jpg

they don't like to "stick" when the glass or the stopper are wet. Dry both, and then all will be well.

If it is one of these:
MGLKG7X.jpg

Then I don't have any advice for you, because I've never had any trouble with them.

Using Starsan? In my experience this causes neoprene (which is what most stoppers are made from) to become "slick" until it dries. I have carboy handles on my glass carboys and fashion a rubber band around it to help hold down the stopper.

yes using starsan. I don't have a handle on mine what should I do?

If it's one of these:
C3Buptn.jpg

they don't like to "stick" when the glass or the stopper are wet. Dry both, and then all will be well.

If it is one of these:
MGLKG7X.jpg

Then I don't have any advice for you, because I've never had any trouble with them.

its the second one I have, the universal. Should I wait til it dry?

Can't hurt. Take a clean paper towel and dry the glass and the stopper. Maybe it'll work for you.

Back