Would you pitch this into wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Glue

Reaction score
I am not sure if such thing exists in the USA but what you can see on the picture are sour pickles.

Basically this is how it's done:

Put water+pickles+spices+a piece of bread on the top into a glass jar.
Put it to a warm place (my mother put it into the sun) so it was at like 100F for 3-4 days then it gets sour and ready.

It was outside, uncovered.

Would it be safe to pitch into beer? Should i pitch it into fermented or unfermented beer?

Should i pitch the liquid or the white gunk on the top into the beer?

pickles.jpg

I'm in the process of building a starter from pickle brine. There should be lots of lacto and pedio in there for sure. Maybe try a test batch or toss some of the liquid into some starter wort?

I'm in the process of building a starter from pickle brine. There should be lots of lacto and pedio in there for sure. Maybe try a test batch or toss some of the liquid into some starter wort?

I don't have DME at home. Could i try pitching it into 1.030 OG boiled sugar water?

Sounds like kind of a pickle/kvass hybrid. I probably wouldn't use the top layer, as the function of the brine is to insulate your vegetables from any nasty stuff that might settle on top.

A sugar water starter might work. Or if you wait until the pickles are gone, you should find a layer of bugs and sediment on the bottom of the jar.

Apple juice is a good medium for growing lacto, too. Might want to give that a try if you don't have DME.

After i tested it in a starter should i pitch it into wort or fermented beer?
I have never made (intentionally) wild beer.

The "white stuff" on top is not what youd want to pitch. Thats a pellice, type of biofilm, that the bacteria makes to shield it from oxygen when gets a foothold in something. Youd want the stuff that settles to the bottom

So i've found beer which i thought was infected a year ago and I left it in primary.
I tastes fine with some raisiny oxidation. I pitched half a jar of pickles liquid info it.
They developed a film on the surface.
Will the la to survive in this beer? If I remember well it's DME only, US05 fermented beer so not much residual sugars. Also the IBU is around 30. Should I pitch some sugars into the wort or something? Or just let it work for another year?

I will still do the pitch into wort thing, this was just looked like a good idea to try.

I did some googling and realized that i managed to tick most of the possible mistakes. (low residual sugars, lacto added after primary, low temps, high IBU) Still it developed some film on the surface.
Now my idea is to add some wine grape juice (harvest time is coming, i don't think i will kill the funghi with sulfur, i think i will let the grape yeast and bugs ride) along with some brett bottle dregs to get some of the wild stuff growing. Is that sounds all right?

So now that i estabilished that lacto is probably out of the picture i'd try this:
putting about 0.5gal boiled grape must into the beer
pouring half a bottle of Orval into the beer in hopes of getting the Brett going.

Is this feasible?

you dont want to pour half a bottle of Orval. it will just oxidize your beer and stuff. To add dregs you pour 90% of the beer carefully into a glass. Dont tip it past horizontal. Keep the last bit, swish it up, and add that to your wort. Be sure to keep the beer in the fridge overnight beforehand so all the yeast settles to the bottom

IME, youll need at least 4 bottles of wild dregs to get it rolling in an y reasonable amount of time

you dont want to pour half a bottle of Orval. it will just oxidize your beer and stuff. To add dregs you pour 90% of the beer carefully into a glass. Dont tip it past horizontal. Keep the last bit, swish it up, and add that to your wort. Be sure to keep the beer in the fridge overnight beforehand so all the yeast settles to the bottom

IME, youll need at least 4 bottles of wild dregs to get it rolling in an y reasonable amount of time

Damns, i've seen your post one day too late.
Add an extra entry to my list of fails then, this beer is slowly turning catastrophic. (i added 1/3 bottle, no fruit or grape must yet)

So at this point i have a 5%, 30 IBU beer, still in primary with yeast and stuff since 2014 july, i added sour pickle liquid a month ago but the lacto probably died from the IBUs and now the brett is probably starving.
The last nail in the coffin probably would be infected grape must. I am still thinking about adding some pasteurized must.

and now the brett is probably starving.
brett will be fine. the US-05 didn't attenuate everything, so there is food left for the brett. don't worry about it :mug:

The last nail in the coffin probably would be infected grape must. I am still thinking about adding some pasteurized must.
at this point, why not roll with the mistakes? don't pasteurize!

Back