Dried to 28% weight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
Just vacuum sealed my hops and they were 28% of their original, fresh-picked weight. I know ideally they would be closer to 20%, but I'm curious about what bad things happen when you don't dry the hops enough. I wouldn't think mold would be an issue if they go straight into the freezer.

Just vacuum sealed my hops and they were 28% of their original, fresh-picked weight. I know ideally they would be closer to 20%, but I'm curious about what bad things happen when you don't dry the hops enough. I wouldn't think mold would be an issue if they go straight into the freezer.

Typically you are drying your hops to a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio, 5:1 being ideal. 28% is close enough to that 4:1 ratio to not really matter too much. When your adding your hops to the boil for recipe calculations, you may want to increase the amount of hops you use by 5-10%.

My crop last year dried to 20%, and I still find that I need a good 10-20% bump in the amount of hops to get the punch I look for in IPAs. If you've vacuum sealed your crop and it's in the freezer, you will be okay. Mold won't be an issue.

Back