New BCS-462 / RPi Control Panel Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanryates

Reaction score
OK, so I've been in the process of upgrading my system for the last two years - thanks to the HBT community for all of the ideas along the way.

Before I get to the new panel build, some background: After 16 years of brewing on my converted keggles I got the thumbs up from the bank (wife) to purchase some new stainless. I went with 20 gallon vessels from Stout Tanks for a full half barrel HERMS system.

p1287047672-3.jpg

The stand is a BRUTUS type clone with integrated LP gas plumbing firing three BG-14 burners through automated honeywell gas valves. The panel shown in the picture is my previous control system. It has since been parted out and sold.

OK, onto the panel build. The initial idea behind the design was to develop a high tech control panel with an integrated LCD touch screen. The panel would be able to control my current gas fired brewery with the ability to easily convert to all electric at some future point in time (the Stout Tanks are fully ready for electric elements).

Thanks to Ryan at ebrewsupply and Curtis (et al) at Brewers Hardware for their help and for taking my money and giving me advice along the way.

In addition to the basic parts and electrical components used in Kal-based or BCS control panels, I decided to include a 10.2" touch screen on the panel. I have a Raspberry Pi box that will run either Raspbian or an Ubuntu Mate OS. The BCS-462 will be the brains of the brewery. The RPi is really just a means of providing an internet browser on the touchscreen to access the BCS front end.

All parts are in except for the touch screen panel. The first panel (from China) was damaged during shipping. I am eagerly awaiting the replacement.

This weekend I began measuring, re-measuring, and then cutting holes in the new control panel box. The box is a 400x400x200mm NEMA box. Pictures will be in the next post.

After many design and layout options, I decided on the following:

p1421778499-3.jpg

Taping, measuring, cutting, etc:

p1421778504-3.jpg

Cuts complete:

p1421778512-3.jpg

Painted:

p1421779558-3.jpg

Buttons and lights installed:

p1421780157-3.jpg

Electric outlets, gas valve control plugs, and temperature input connections installed:

p1421780181-3.jpg

Next steps: begin layout out inside din rail and components. Then wiring and testing begins. Wish me luck.

Hi, I have a similar setup. Been using an iPad for my front end but wanted a decent size touchscreen. I scoured the net and found *not much* in the 10+ inch with touch department that works on RPi.

Would you mind sharing your source?

-BD

So I had the same problems you were having finding a pre-manufactured 10" touch screen. It seems you have to build your own.

I purchased the following screen off of Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S4EWF6G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Then attempted to find a touch screen overlay on ebay. The first one I bought was a 10.1" touch panel, however it was the wrong dimension (too long and narrow). Sold it back to the ebay world and made $10. :D

Found the correct touch panel (http://www.ebay.com/itm/271187658681?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT), but unfortunately it was damaged during shipping. Currently awaiting the replacement from the ebay vendor - hopefully in working condition. 3rd time's a charm.

I was able to use the damaged panel to confirm correct size/dimensions etc.

The screen and LCD will be adhereed together using 3M tape - the kind used to fix and replace broken cell phone screens.

Hope that helps.

Here is a picture of the touch panel to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

p1422713199-4.jpg

Hi, I have a similar setup. Been using an iPad for my front end but wanted a decent size touchscreen. I scoured the net and found *not much* in the 10+ inch with touch department that works on RPi.

Would you mind sharing your source?

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you certainly are adventurous!! I was looking for a turnkey solution and was totally surprised I couldn't find one. I thought about going this route but didn't want to spend the time piecing and parting - but I am glad you are!!

If you don't mind, please keep this thread updated with progress. If your solution works I will likely copy it (hope that's cool!)!

-BD

OK, so a little more progress tonight. I was able to mount all of the internal components into the box. I will hold off wiring until I install the mounting bracket from the TV Stand (awaiting shipment from amazon).

The TV Stand will allow the control panel to move away from the wall during brewing, and push out of the way when finished (not my idea, stole from other here on HBT).

In case anyone asks, the two boxes on the top row are the raspberry pi and the network switch. Middle row has the bcs462 and power transformers (12vdc for relay and lcd screen, 5vdc for RPi and network switch, 24vac for Honeywell gas valves). Bottom row has SPDT relay for gas valves and pumps, SSR for 120v buzzer, contactor, and breaker)

Can't believe this is finally coming together after months of design and waiting on parts. :D

View attachment 1440644335313.jpg

OK folks, wiring on the panel commenced this weekend. All of the 120v is done with 14ga wire. DC power is wired with 16ga. Temperature probe leads and bcs i/o is wired with cat5 cable.

After several hours I ended up with a good part of the wiring complete. Only a couple small burns to the fingers from the soldering iron and some sore fingers. I need to finish wiring the 120v leads to the front panel and finish wiring up the lights and switches. Then tighten everything up with zip ties.

I'm still waiting on the touch panel to arrive...

View attachment 1441022463125.jpg

OK, not much new to show here - but wiring is complete. I probably have a dozen or so zip ties to add to clean everything up.

Tonight I plan to make all of my connecting cables (main 110v, 110v to pumps, thermocouple cables, and 24vac cables to the gas valves).

Still awaiting the touch panel from my Chinese vendor...

View attachment 1441196704132.jpg

Cmon panel!

BTW, have you validated if the browser on the RPi distro will work with the BCS? The BCS interface will not work correctly with all browsers. For example, certain fields will not update with IE (no surprise really). Chrome is recommended.

-BD

Looks like a nice build. Can't wait to see the screen in and working

Cmon panel!

BTW, have you validated if the browser on the RPi distro will work with the BCS? The BCS interface will not work correctly with all browsers. For example, certain fields will not update with IE (no surprise really). Chrome is recommended.

-BD

I have Chromium on a RPi right now and I'm pretty sure it works fine with it. I'll double check though and report back. I'm looking to put Windows 10 IoT on a RPi and run a windows app for the GUI. :)

I have Chromium on a RPi right now and I'm pretty sure it works fine with it. I'll double check though and report back. I'm looking to put Windows 10 IoT on a RPi and run a windows app for the GUI. :)

Yes, I believe Chromium should work fine. Thanks for confirming Jon. I'll be curious to hear how Win10 works for you.

Yes, I believe Chromium should work fine. Thanks for confirming Jon. I'll be curious to hear how Win10 works for you.

Hmmm.... I just tested and Chromium did NOT work! However, the built in browser did work, albeit slow. This was on an Rpi1. I don't have an image made up to test the Rpi2.

I decided last week to update the windows app I was previously using with the BCS to now work with the 4.0 API. It is customizable and will be available for everyone. I hope to put out a first cut of it in the next week. I'll be working towards being able to run that on IoT/Rpi2.

Hmmm.... I just tested and Chromium did NOT work! However, the built in browser did work, albeit slow. This was on an Rpi1. I don't have an image made up to test the Rpi2.

I decided last week to update the windows app I was previously using with the BCS to now work with the 4.0 API. It is customizable and will be available for everyone. I hope to put out a first cut of it in the next week. I'll be working towards being able to run that on IoT/Rpi2.

Jon - I hope to have this thing ready to plug in in the next few days and I will double check on chromium compatibility. I am running Ubuntu Mate 15.04 on the RPi2 and thought I had checked the browsers compatibility (Chromium, Firefox, and something else). Thanks for checking.

Very interested in the Win10 possibilities. Please keep up posted.

Hi all,

So the touch panel finally arrived! After testing the screen and calibration in Ubuntu, I got everything connected.

First the panel was attached to the lcd with 3M VHB double sided tape. Once bonded, I attached them to the panel with the same 3M tape. Then I attached the boards to the back of the lcd.

Everything fires up and works Except for the buzzer. Still can't get it to work.

Now, I've got to finish constructing temp probes, power cables for pumps, and leads to the gas valves.

View attachment 1442002316922.jpg

View attachment 1442002330999.jpg

View attachment 1442002343529.jpg

Ditto BrunDog's request! What is the resolution of the display? None of the 7" units had enough pixel space for what I wanted to do. My current 21" touchscreen is 1920x1080 and works great, but I'd like to go to something smaller.

Ditto BrunDog's request! What is the resolution of the display? None of the 7" units had enough pixel space for what I wanted to do. My current 21" touchscreen is 1920x1080 and works great, but I'd like to go to something smaller.

Jon, BrunDog -

I'll try to pull together a part list in the next few days. I'm headed out of town on work travel for a few days.

Jon, the resolution of the display is 1280 x 800.

In terms of my experience using Chromium on the RPi, I've had no problems so far with the browser interface and the bcs. That said, the majority of the programming is done remotely from my home pc - which is easier.

Ok Ryan. Now that it all works, per above, would you mind posting up what exactly you bought to make this large touchscreen? I want to copy it exactly! (Again, as long as you don't mind sharing)

-BD

OK, Here is a list of parts for the touchscreen system:

1) JBtek 10 inch LCD TFT Monitor - http://goo.gl/7eeW7T
2) 10.2" 4 Wire Resistive Touch Screen Panel - http://goo.gl/ovLFYi
3) Raspberry Pi 2 - http://goo.gl/4F7d5H
4) Netgear 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch - http://goo.gl/cIIwhQ
5) HDMI Cable - http://goo.gl/Fmme3G
6) 3M VHB Tape, 0.25 in - http://goo.gl/1sUqU2
7) AC 110V to DC 12V Power Supply - http://goo.gl/jPleYH

The touchscreen connects to the Raspberry Pi via USB. Very easy to calibrate in linux. The LCD is powered by the 12V power supply. The touchscreen and

LCD are connected with the 3M VHB tape. Make sure to be very careful when taping them together because the VHB tape is permanent.

Let me know if you have any questions about how it all works.

Ryan,

Thank you very much! How is the resistive panel performing? Did you look at any capacitive panels?

-BD

I have no complaints with the resistive panel. I think it's important to consider the application when choosing which type of panel to go with. If this was for my home pc outside of an industrial environment - I would probably choose the capacitive. One of the primary benefits of capacitive panels is ability to use multi touch. My application really has no use for multi touch.

Resistive panel benefits are lower cost and higher resistance to dust and water, which were important for me.

Awesome build man. I love these elaborate LP systems. I'm using a Blichmann TOP controller for my LP HERMS because I'm no good with electrical, but you've got an awesome setup here. Nice job

Ryan,

Can you confirm this is working with BCS firmware 4.0?

-BD

Nope, cannot yet confirm this. Working the previous version. I've got 40 gallons of beer to brew this week and am on a tight turnaround. Didn't want to mess with an upgrade until I got through this week. I've also been hesitant to upgrade until the 4.0 (or 4.1) final was released.

Next week I'll think about upgrading the firmware. Let you know then.

Very cool build. I'm doing something similar but running the ebrewsupply PID setup. I wanted a way to keep recipes on hand so I am running Brewtarget on an RPi and an adafruit 10.1" non touch screen. I will just be running a wireless keyboard I think. The damn hard part is mounting the screen. My company does a lot of work with that 3m VHB and other crazy tapes but I think I'm going to go the hard mounted route.

Rough setups in the pics. Still need to tweak it all. You can barely see the cut out lines where I'll mount the screen. Hopefully I'll be able to do that soon.

20150602_205653_zps6xulrzyp.jpg

20150602_195825_zpsl7v9hjs8.jpg

Back