DC Area Group Buy #14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NOTE: You may want to read all of this post again as some thing have changed.

This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area, including MD and VA as well as the district. A limited number of folks in the Charlottesville/Waynesboro/Staunton area may participate as I drive there 6-8 times a year, but you must be willing to wait for my next trip home...

The intent of this buy is to be held on a regular schedule. We do not have a minimum order to make so we can schedule this to happen on a regular timetable and that allows you to plan your buys to the way you brew instead of having to stock up like the old model forced you to. Looks like we are getting in a groove with the buy happening every ~8 weeks.

Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* If you want the price list, PM me your email address...this is the only way it is given out as our supplier has asked we keep it limited to group participants.
* PAYMENT is via PayPal only! Pay three weeks before the buy end, by Friday at midnight. Pay me at the email address I used to send you the link to the sheet. Use the pay friend/family option and DO NOT pay via PayPal check! PLEASE put your HBT moniker in the note section so I know who you are. Collating email addresses is a pain!
* You can pay in advance. I don't encourage this unless you are someone who doesn't check the buy thread ~daily. If you travel a lot like I do, it may make sense for you to pay in advance as well. Remember we can refund you up to 60 days from PayPal and we can always just "pay" you if it goes beyond 60 days.
* We allow splitting of sacks (no base malts please!) cuz who keeps 50 pounds of Carafa III in their local storage? Please just post as usual in the forum. Payment is due, paid to Stonebrewer via PayPal, WHEN THE BUY closes. So pay attention as I hate chasing folks down.

* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC

* NOTE Recent Change:The pickup will occur the Sat. three weeks after the buy closes, so buy closes Friday night, order goes in Sat. AM, pick up the second Sat. AM at 3 Stars. We will allow LIMITED orders two weeks before. The reason for doing this is it gives 3 Stars 3 chances to order and should greatly reduce us not getting something we order.
* Pickup time is 11 AM and ends at 12 or 12:30 AM (TBD), right before they can fill growlers so come prepared to buy from the HBS and get your growler(s) filled!
* If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so and let Stonebrewer know who is picking up your grain
* In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up; be forewarned that this can happen, though we believe the three week rule will eliminate or minimize this
* The price list is given out by email so if you want it PM me with your email; no email, no list, no exceptions
* The price list is private, do not share with others. Have them contact me. Do not discuss pricing on the forum. Do not give out the link.
* When ordering please use a standard format, for example copy and paste the SKU + grain straight off the price list. Something like this:

2 x BRI1004 Briess Pilsen 50 lb
1 x MUN1001 Muntons Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

10# WEY1031 Weyermann® CaraMunich I® 25 Kg (55 Lb.):

* ...and put it at the bottom of your post, away from text to make it stand out. In this example, the buyer is asking for 3 full sacks and to start a split of CaraMunich, of which he is taking 10 pounds.
* If you are buying splits, please quote the primary buyers post as part of your request post to make it easy for us to see what split you are taking.
* We currently create a very complete set of sheets that we keep on google drive with all the information about a buy. Please check it before asking questions. If it is not up to date, give us some time before posting. We do have real jobs, families, and we also like to brew from time to time...
* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask.
* The brewery has a small homebrew store; PLEASE snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.

so shall i be first to order some Patagonia, which will once more not be delivered? :D

for those who jumped on the Avangard train, do let us know how the malts turned out and how they compare to other euro-malts.

greetings from Yosemite! pix that will piss you off to follow :D

unless you provide change over time (trends), we can't really judge which maltster is hot or not. also, a picture of the maltster with his shirt off would help :p

avangard is the new kid on the block, clearly the big winner of buy #13. big question for me is what do people think of this malt and will they order again?

unless you provide change over time (trends), we can't really judge which maltster is hot or not. also, a picture of the maltster with his shirt off would help :p

avangard is the new kid on the block, clearly the big winner of buy #13. big question for me is what do people think of this malt and will they order again?

We used have all the data for previous group buys, but now just the one. I had visions of various time series themes: malt type, total sacks ordered, avg split size.

We used have all the data for previous group buys, but now just the one.
weird, a few used to be there... maybe there is a reason why these were cleaned up? perhaps someone made an offline archive?...

I had visions of various time series themes: malt type, total sacks ordered, avg split size.
dude - just how bored are you at work?!?!?

weird, a few used to be there... maybe there is a reason why these were cleaned up? perhaps someone made an offline archive?...

dude - just how bored are you at work?!?!?

no kidding! I have plenty i can pass off... AND I just found out ill have to work, even when we shutdown :(

Is there any chance of getting other Malts? I'm a big fan of thomas fawcett pearl malt for a few of my recipes.

Looks like this GB gonna take a while. Not a single order yet....

You never know...sometimes we get a flurry of activity a couple of weeks in a row and the buy fills up. Some of us have overstocked and aren't brewing as often as we would like as well...sigh!

How did I miss this sequel thread starting until now? Consider me subscribed even though I still have lots of malts left over from two buys ago. I know, I have been a bad home brewer and have not been brewing much. I promise I will get better and go on a brewing binge this fall/winter. Really.

How did I miss this sequel thread starting until now? Consider me subscribed even though I still have lots of malts left over from two buys ago. I know, I have been a bad home brewer and have not been brewing much. I promise I will get better and go on a brewing binge this fall/winter. Really.

Ditto to DrunkleJon's comment. Been away awhile working on the house. Need to finish up my new rig that I started last year and get to some serious brewing. I am running dry taps.

I hope everyone has been well.

Working on it. I'm hoping I can keep a few of everything I brew to bring by to share. Even if I don't end up buying any grains.

#25 of 2-row

heya AfroHopster - in the past we haven't done splits of base malts like 2-row, it's been full sacks only. the idea is keep the number of splits under control. seeing as how 2-row goes in just about everything, the thinking is that brewers will end up using it all anyways. not sure what the current thinking is on splitting base malt...

in other news, i had the great honor of stonebrewer's presence and supervisory skills this past weekend on my brew day (11 gallons of saison chugging away in the basement right now, along with 5.5 gals of conan DIPA i brewed the day before). we discussed how slowly buy #14 is going... at this pace we won't have enough for an order until christmas! hopefully the cooler weather will motivate all you brewers to fire up the kettles :ban:

heya AfroHopster - in the past we haven't done splits of base malts like 2-row, it's been full sacks only. the idea is keep the number of splits under control. seeing as how 2-row goes in just about everything, the thinking is that brewers will end up using it all anyways. not sure what the current thinking is on splitting base malt...

in other news, i had the great honor of stonebrewer's presence and supervisory skills this past weekend on my brew day (11 gallons of saison chugging away in the basement right now, along with 5.5 gals of conan DIPA i brewed the day before). we discussed how slowly buy #14 is going... at this pace we won't have enough for an order until christmas! hopefully the cooler weather will motivate all you brewers to fire up the kettles :ban:

Ok shoot only problem is I still have 25lbs of 2 row from the last group buy when I brought a whole sack, I've been brewing like crazy trying to burn all this 2 row its old but I think it's ok

Ok shoot only problem is I still have 25lbs of 2 row from the last group buy when I brought a whole sack, I've been brewing like crazy trying to burn all this 2 row its old but I think it's ok

So leftover from but 13? You should be fine. I still have grain from buy 11 or 12. I have some grains that are a year old. Chew some, if it tastes stale then its not good, you should be okay though if you stored it well.

So leftover from but 13? You should be fine. I still have grain from buy 11 or 12. I have some grains that are a year old. Chew some, if it tastes stale then its not good, you should be okay though if you stored it well.
leftover from 12 lol everyone tells me to taste it but I have no clue what stale grain taste like, but I'm not just throwing it away lol so I brew on. might do a double IPA soon to get rid of some more.

As long as you store it air tight in a cool place, it should last a good amount of time. I have munich and vienna that is two years old. Still tastes fine to me.

Anybody got a good recipe that needs mostly munich or vienna? Gotta move that grain...

Malt will last a couple of years as long as you store it right and don't get bugs, mice, etc. gnawing on it. Even then, it still makes beer. I have about 4-5 sacks that I need to blow through. Winter is coming, prime brewing time!!

Honor and privilege was all mine, watching a master Saison brewer in action! Save me a sip of the conan DIPA bro!

As long as you store it air tight in a cool place, it should last a good amount of time. I have munich and vienna that is two years old. Still tastes fine to me.

Anybody got a good recipe that needs mostly munich or vienna? Gotta move that grain...
doppelbock! baltic porter :)

How much Munich you talkin? Ide be willing to take a few #s off your hands.

leftover from 12 lol everyone tells me to taste it but I have no clue what stale grain taste like, but I'm not just throwing it away lol so I brew on. might do a double IPA soon to get rid of some more.

Stale grain would have a flavor kind of like stale anything else. Have you chewed on some grain before? (I only ask because not everybody is weird and likes to do so like I do). You know how stale bread gets a taste, chips seem to get it too. Its kind of a muddy, muted, almost damp and slightly soggy tasting. You should be good to go though.

How do you store your grains? A homer bucket will keep you pretty good for a while. If you use the Gamma Seal style lids it should keep even better. Basically if you can store it in a cool dry place it should last for years.

Looks like I'm the first to put an order in.

1x 1850C AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM PILSEN

Back