advice on yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edues

Reaction score
I am seeking the best type of yeast to use on traditional Mead and on dark fruited melomel. Thanks

Depends on what you want for an end product. Do you want sweet, dry or semi sec? Do you want enhanced mouthfeel or a softer melomel? There are a lot of things that different yeast strains can do, you should choose your yeast like you would choose a tool. What qualities do you want in your end product? What type of honey, what type of fruit, how much, etc...
More info will help.
Regards, GF.

Looking for a semi dry with a fruity aroma. All around pleasing to drink in a blackberry or black current. A special occasion mead since it takes forever to come of age. A Wisconsin wildflower honey.

Well, you might like what 71B-1122 can do for you. It's used for "fruity" reds like vin nouveau. It's also a good choice for fruit high in malic acid as it will metabolize some (20-40%) of the malic acid to alcohol, thereby "softening" the wine. This may or may not be what you want in your melomel. 71B will go to 14%. I think I'd use this one for the black currant.

If you don't want a "softer" melomel, you might try RC-212. This is a Burgundy yeast & requires a bit of extra nitrogen (D.A.P.), but can give you some nice results. I used this strain for a blackberry/blueberry wine & while it's still aging, I think it turned out pretty good. This would be my choice for blackberry.

Here's a link to Keller's site & a list of yeast strains & some of their qualities:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp
You might want to verify optimum primary temps with the manufacturer's sites though, I've noticed a couple of temps that seem rather high for good fermentation temps on Keller's site.
Here's Lalvin's:
http://www.lallemandyeast.com/company/products/bourgovin-rc-212-wine-yeast

BTW, some might recommend D-47 yeast; unless you have really good temp control & can run it on the low end, I'd avoid it. D-47 is notorious for producing fusel alcohols at higher temps & while they can be aged out, it often takes a long time to do so.

Hope you find this info useful.
Regards, GF.

Thank you very much I took notes an I'll let you know how it works.

for a traditional two good choices are k1v and cote de blanc. Both have given me very good results. K1v is good for higher temperatures. Good luck.

Back